2012 oklahoma mini?

corytcline

I have never been to a mini and am not real sure what one is but I would like some info on what they are about and if there will be one in Oklahoma for 2012. Thanks.

Mini's come in many different formats. There are some that follow a very formal schedule with classes/presentations on decorating/sequencing/controllers/types of lights/etc, vendor participation, door prizes and attendance fees. Then there is the other extreme where it is very informal. The OKC area mini falls into the latter category. It is an informal meeting of Christmas lighting enthusiasts. We get together to show off, learn, fellowship, eat and in general have a good time. For the last few years (3 or 4, I can't remember) I've hosted it at my house in Norman in April. It is open to anyone that wants to come, newbies and old pros alike. We don't charge an attendance fee or follow any formal agenda. But there has never been a lack of things to learn or see.

We usually provide some finger foods and a sandwich meat tray. The last couple of years a couple of the members have brought some outstanding additions to the food. One is a baker that has brought cookies, cinn rolls, yeast rolls, turnovers, etc. Enough to make everyone sick but we somehow always manage to eat it all :munch:. Another member does competition BBQ. He has brought some wonderful smoked meats.

In the past I co-hosted it with another lighting enthusiast but he has had a really rough year or so in his personal life. So I'll be winging it alone again this year. I've been a little busy with familly obiligations and developing/deploying the new Helix V3 Main Board so I'm a little late in getting the mini going this year. I should have some time this weekend to put a post together asking for suggested dates. I plan to host it again in April.

Please watch this forum for additional info in the next couple of days.

Greg I would be interested in attending this mini I live in the Mcloud area by Shawnee. I work in Norman though. I am new to the lighting display this year was my first show. I went at it alone except for the support on this site, it would be nice though to meet people around my area that share the same interest in lighting displays. The people in this town were not sure what it was I had to go outside and tell them to tune in to the radio station to hear the music even though I had a tune to sign in plain site. Once I told them about the music they got into it. I guess they thought I just had a lot of flasher bulbs lol.
I have to admit I'm not on the site everyday but I will keep an eye out for when the mini is supposed to be. Thanks for the replys.

Back