23L question

Santacarl

Hey Joe....

Saying that reminds me of a good old tune....."where you goin with that sequencer in your hand" but I digress....

I see you dialed back the buffer to 5 megs on 23L...... If I end up with another of those buffer overruns when I import an HLSNC file from NC.....can I back up and reinstall a version prior to 23L......import and then reinstall 23L? I haven't ever gone back and tried to reinstall an earlier version so I don't want to risk any issues that could cause problems...

I don't anticipate having to do that.....just asking for just in case.....as doing that would be faster than having to break the HLSNC file into multiples.....

Thanks

SC

As I posted earlier --- My head was not on straight when I made the original decision to increase the buffer from 2meg to 20meg --- I thought I was dealing with complete file size.

Later when my other thoughts calmed down -- I said to myself --- I need to make that NOT file size but Channel Data Size --- then I can handle any NC file size. When I went in to make THAT change -- I found to my dismay --- THAT is what I had originally designed and recognized that 20meg was way too big.

The buffer is the maximum number of chars that a single NC channel can occupy.

White is the largest number being 16777215 which is 8 characters in length. Add one for tic event separation and that equals 9 characters per time tic. Using the fastest time tic of 25msec (or 40 tics per second) --- that is 9 * 40 = 360 characters per second of audio.

So --- a 5meg (5000000) size channel buffer provides 13888 seconds of audio at a tic rate of 25msec -- OR 231 minutes OR -- 3.8 hours of audio.

I don't think buffer size will be an issue.

Going through the math for you suggests I can reduce the buffer size even more .....

Lets go backwards ...

Lets say 1 hour of audio at 25msec tics ... that is 3600 seconds --- or (3600 * 360char/sec) equal to a buffer size of 1,296,000 --- Interesting --- well under my original 2meg

At a tic rate of 50mec --- that gives us 20 tic per second or 9 * 20 = 180 characters per second of audio.

1 hour of audio at 50 msec tics --- (3600 * 180) equals to a buffer size of 648,000 bytes --- again well under my original 2 meg size.

I'm really glad you asked the question ... forced me to do the math --- that says HLS was not the issue in the first place --- that NC created a bad effect file with newline markers NOT properly positioned.

I'm going back to my original 2meg size ---

If the issue comes up again --- I'll know it's not an HLS buffer size (as long as the audio is less than 1 hour at 25 msec tic rate) and REALLY FIND WHAT ROOT-CAUSE is.

Thanks for asking --- I should have done the math earlier and found it was not HLS but NC. Being NC --- my change should have not solved the issue presented.

So --- bottom line --- if you have an issue --- let me know because I doubt it will be an HLS issue --- wel will just need to find what the real cause is.

Joe

Well.....all I know is that with the 2 meg buffer size I was having problems any time the song was anywhere near 150 seconds.... I did a new tune with the 20 meg size and didn't have ANY problem....

I would request leaving it a 5 megs for a while unless that's causing a problem elsewhere.....

The buffer size has nothing to do with the length of the song --- it has to do with the length of the NC effect (length in time).

The math above was using worse case senerio where someone attempted to use a NC effect -- for 1 hour.

I suspect NC may have a buffer issue (depends on how they wrote their export code).

As I said --- if you see na issue -- let me know and we will try to find root-cause because I know it's not my NC buffer size.

Joe

I understand it's not necessarily time per se.....but the amount of 'data' present....but doesn't that depend on how long the line runs? I have never had an issue on short imports....which I suppose contain less data due to the length of time there is for the data to add up into a sizeable amount?

The tune I recently did.....would have busted me in the past...and I would have had to split it into 2 or more mini-imports.....

I don't have the technical knowledge to help any more than to report what I've experienced.....I think it would be great if you could dig a bit and figure out where the issue really resides....it sure would same me some time on longer tunes with lots of effects to import.....

Think about what you just said and what I have posted.

I have stated that HLS buffers are not the issue and I would look at NC for the issue.

You stated that as long as you broke up your NC effects -- all was well.

I suspect NC has a fixed size buffer for HLS export and the effect you are asking to export has a "Channel Buffer" NOT large enough for the complete time of the effect.

Send me a NC effect that has the issue and I will look at it and tell you how any time tics of data is present. If the number of time tics of data in the NC effect is less than what you consider the total time of the effect --- then NC has a buffer issue.

Let's not guess -- Let's get to the facts.

Send me one and we will then know.

Joe

Karl are you exporting a single Nutcracker model / file with multiple effects applied ?

or does your export consist of multiple models ?

Send me one and we will then know.

Joe

Let me check and see if I still have one......usually when it happens I just break a larger song apart and discard the large or full song.....Since I have to go into Audacity to begin that process I usually don't hang on to all the stuff I don't intend to keep.....

Joe.....hold the presses....

I found a file that I had to split up several months ago in order to get it to work..... It works now! Something, someplace has changed.....don't know what it was but it seems to have gotten 'fixed'..... I finished my sequencing back during the summer so I hadn't caught the fact that it seems to work fine now....

Sorry for the false alarm.....I'm just glad I can avoid the extra steps I was taking before...

BTW.....congrats on the changes you made in the PP area..... I hadn't looked at it in a while and I love the ability to select the group where the PP begins for preview..... I think it makes it much easier to get my head around it..... I really struggled with that previously..... This change is VERY much appreciated.....Thank you.

SC

Back