3-D Layout?

Santacarl

Hey All,

When I check the 3-D box in my layout tab to get that view all my models are offset WAY to the upper right corner...Nothing matches my 2-D layout. Up until now I haven't really needed a 3-D look but I was playing with some new props that might be better viewed in a 3-D layout but I'm obviously missing something.

I can't find any way to correct this.

Anyone have an idea what controls this or know of a video that might help show where I took a wrong turn?

Don't have an exact answer, but I remember something about "X0=Center" checked on or off.
But, before you take my advice, after many attempts to use "3D", I scrapped the idea. 2D has worked just fine for what I'm doing.

Don't have an exact answer, but I remember something about "X0=Center" checked on or off.
But, before you take my advice, after many attempts to use "3D", I scrapped the idea. 2D has worked just fine for what I'm doing.

Thanks Mike... Yeah I tried that "XO=Center" toggle and it went from bad to worse....Haha...:blink:

I'm starting to think I just need to stick with 2D too and take my best guess at getting the depth perspective that I was hoping to use close enough to make it usable.

Like most 3d programs, you will need to use x, y, and z. Z being the depth. On my layout, I would push most of items negative to move them into position. I had real trouble moving them in the preview. It was pretty easy to put in absolute values to move them.
View attachment 46703
I bet once you figure out the magic, it would be pretty easy to move them in the Z direction in the preview. But just playing around, I couldn't figure out the magic.

Is there a toggle some place to show the x, y, and z? I was playing with it earlier now I don't see it.... I've played with this so much I can't remember where it was.....Haha

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-5yuxsnvJeU
The secret sauce revealed...skip to about 4 minutes for how to move items. The key for me is to find the blue arrow.

Size /location shows the x,y,z

Thanks for the link Mike...

Whoa Buddy....that's like drinking out of a fire hose! Haha...:biggrin2:

I'm seeing a serious time investment there. Sounds like it might be above my 'paygrade'....:unsure:

As to "Size/location shows the x,y,z".....I no longer see "Size/location"....I must have inadvertently clicked something to make it go away....

Well....DOAH....I found it.... Didn't have a model selected.....:zipped:

Last edited:
SantaCarl,

The xLights Zoom room is my best friend...

Hi Tom....Thanks for the thought. I use it once in a great while... It saved my sanity this past season. Had some really strange goings on with my setup that someone else with more brain cells than me was able to pinpoint. Just thought I'd post some things here and check in from time to time while working other projects. I'm not a fan of group gatherings as a rule...so I tend to not do the chat thing most of the time. :blush:

I just set up my xLights 3D view after years of using the 2D viewer. When I first started moving things around in the 3D viewer it messed up my 2D preview, but as I got better at manipulating I was able to get both the 2D and 3D views to look the way I wanted.

2D model view.png 3D model view.png

I do have to drag and zoom my display view, but everything is working perfectly between the two versions.

Looks pretty cool. I wouldn't mind seeing a clip of it running in 3d from an offset angle if possible.

Looks pretty cool. I wouldn't mind seeing a clip of it running in 3d from an offset angle if possible.

Here you go. This is my first use of my Peace Stakes, just a simple Snowstorm effect.

[video]https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/802769875[/video]

Back