30 channel DMX board

CLAP

I have 4 Ray Wu 27 channel boards which all work ok. I saw a cheap 30 channel board on eBay, so I bought one.
It's one with indicator LED's on the outputs, it's marked QJ-30CHDMX-20140730.
I wired a few dumb RGB pixels to it and it works well on the test patterns, I then tried to run it with open DMX from Vixen 3 - nothing? The indicator light shows that it has DMX signal, the DIP address is ok, any suggestions?

The instruction "manual" mentions master and slave, is this of any relevance?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey i bought 2 of these last xmas and had no luck running them on vixen. I think it may have been my interface. As i could get them to work on freestyler on a udmx interface. Still baffled by it now.
Sorry its not the answer but someone might be able to give you an answer

Just a quick question to yourself. I couldnt get the ch 30 board to work so i resorted to buying 6ch boards as i when i first started i brought 1to test to see if i could get itto worked and had no problems with it. Do you think the 27 ch board is the same as mine.
Secondly 1 thing i noticed between the 6 ch and the 30 is on the listings the 6 channel says constant decoder and has a frequency 650hz
Where my 6 ch listion has common anode or cmos drain open output. Maybe someone could adapt abit further

Thanks for your help.
I do have a few other boards, 2 x 6 channel, a DMX36 and a DMX 2 wire light string board, these all work fine.
I'm not aware of the frequency specification that you mention, I'll have a look at that.
Anyway it's good to know that that board is not faulty.

If you do figure it out please let us know as i have 60 channels sitting there in a box i havent been able to use

I contacted the eBay seller and he responded with this:

Hello,
We have one of our other clients has the same problem with yours.
The USB you sent seems can't use for our controller.
We recommend our professional usb.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-DMX-Int...85951713&tpos=top&ttype=price&talgo=undefined

I don't think this dongle is compatible with Vixen 3? And I don't really like buying another one, so unless someone has some bright idea of a workaround I might put it back on eBay.
It would have been nice to know of the limitations of the board before purchase!

I contacted the eBay seller and he responded with this:

Hello,
We have one of our other clients has the same problem with yours.
The USB you sent seems can't use for our controller.
We recommend our professional usb. ARCOLIS SUSHI

I don't think that this dongle is compatible with Vixen 3? and I'm not keen on buying another one... So unless someone can suggest a workaround, I might put it back on eBay.

The eBay listing should maybe advertise the limitations of the board.

Yes i had that. Must of been the same seller. This be why it works with my udmx interface. But the udmx interface doesnt work with the vixen program. Its frustrating. They should mention that it only works with certain interfaces. I would put a claim in as not as discribed and get money back.

Try setting your DMX output to use all 512 channels, if it's showing DMX it may be that the DIP switches aren't really assigned with the correct DMX channel. If you set it to all 512 and run a sweep thru them all and watch Vixen while it's going, you'll be able to see what channel it's really set at.

Also try taking the DMX out from one of the 27 channel and run it into the DMX in on the 30 channel, this will help trouble shot to make sure that the DMX signal is still good.

Try some sort of DMX buffer maybe.

The nice ones with isolated outputs can clean up the DMX signal well and make it work.

Don't you have any other DMX output devices like pixel controllers?
If you daisy chain it to a proper DMX lighting fixture with isolation on the DMX output, that may also clean up the signal and make it work. I have found that some devices output DMX at lower voltages than the specification.

I have a generic 30ch controller I purchased from HolidayCoro.com and have no issues with it as long as it is connected to a DMX output on one of my smart pixel controllers. Hopefully you have a smart pixel controller, otherwise it looks like a crap shoot trying to find a compatible DMX interface. Plus the fact there is less cabling from the PC.

I tried daisy chaining from a working 27 channel controller with no luck.
Since then I have contacted the seller who confirmed that other buyers had contacted him with similar problems, he agreed to give me a refund so I've returned it too him.

Thanks for your ideas guys!

Hi - I know this is years later but I had the same challenge setting up a Neon Flex prop, and I've managed to crack it after a long and frustrating morning.

I've got a QJ-30CHDMX board from AliExpress - like this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000768368535.html. This seems to be the same one referred to in the thread
The onboard test worked fine. The USB-DMX cable worked fine, and the blue light came on and flickered as it should. But no response to signal.

I run FPP/Pi Zeroes as controllers, and needed the DMX to fill the channel range 901-930. I was fortunate to have a second working setup with the 30 channel HolidayCoro board and was able to use that to confirm all the cables were working perfectly and figure it out from there (turns out the HolidayCoro board has a couple of nice extra features that you have to do manually for the cheaper board). Note, for both boards, all dip switches set to OFF.

What worked was to set up in FPP a new channel output in "Other" as Open DMX, start channel = 1, 512 channels (smaller channel counts didn't work), connection USB0.
Then in "Output Processors" (next menu option down after Channel Outputs), I set up a Remap, and mapped Source channel 901 to Destination channel 1, count = 30 (keep defaults loops=1, Reverse none).

Off to the Display test page, and Channels 901 - 930 worked perfectly.

So there appears to be a global to local addressing change needed for this board, which is NOT needed in the HolidayCoro board. Hope that helps if anyone else has the same issue.

Great information.
Thanks for posting.
Hi - I know this is years later but I had the same challenge setting up a Neon Flex prop, and I've managed to crack it after a long and frustrating morning.

I've got a QJ-30CHDMX board from AliExpress - like this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000768368535.html. This seems to be the same one referred to in the thread
The onboard test worked fine. The USB-DMX cable worked fine, and the blue light came on and flickered as it should. But no response to signal.

I run FPP/Pi Zeroes as controllers, and needed the DMX to fill the channel range 901-930. I was fortunate to have a second working setup with the 30 channel HolidayCoro board and was able to use that to confirm all the cables were working perfectly and figure it out from there (turns out the HolidayCoro board has a couple of nice extra features that you have to do manually for the cheaper board). Note, for both boards, all dip switches set to OFF.

What worked was to set up in FPP a new channel output in "Other" as Open DMX, start channel = 1, 512 channels (smaller channel counts didn't work), connection USB0.
Then in "Output Processors" (next menu option down after Channel Outputs), I set up a Remap, and mapped Source channel 901 to Destination channel 1, count = 30 (keep defaults loops=1, Reverse none).

Off to the Display test page, and Channels 901 - 930 worked perfectly.

So there appears to be a global to local addressing change needed for this board, which is NOT needed in the HolidayCoro board. Hope that helps if anyone else has the same issue.

Back