3D Printing Tips Wanted

MichiganLights

I missed out on an end of year sale for some extra large lighted lawn ornament Christmas bulbs at HD. So I though I'll just 3D print them, how hard can it be? :unsure:

For lighted props do you typically print in spiral/vase mode, convectional 1-wall, 2-wall, or fuzzy mode? Curious where you have your most success.

Ender 3 S1
PETG 1.75mm
0.8mm nozzle
240C
70C
60mm/sec.

I have printed over 500 C9 style Pixel Covers in the past year. Conventional 1-Wall mode

Ender 3 Pro
PETG Transparent 1.75mm
.4mm nozzle
240C
85C
50mm/sec

I could probably use a larger nozzle and faster motion, but I was happy with my results and wanted to keep everything consistent.

I replaced the original .4mm nozzle with .6mm and 105% feed. Since then, I've had fewer blobs/clogs. Going to a 50% larger nozzle doesn't change print speed, really (at least what I've seen), but I suspect it could. I just don't trust the Ender3 to produce great results. And that's frustrating because I've seen so many other stunning prints people have made with their Ender3s using virtually default settings and I've tried that... never worked for me...

The &##%@^% printer continues to give me fits...

I found a RBL design on thingiverse a while back. It was the bulb, the base and a 5 bullet pixel holder. I've printed about 8 of them out. It's a really neat design. The bulb screws into the base and the pixel holder is held in by a 1/4-20 bolt. It takes a while to print but they look very good. I've never seen a real RBL in person so I don't know the size comparison. They are as big as the Home Depot battery powered big lights.

You might want to search for posts by user wilmar. He created a RBL like light he called rbc9 and gave settings and things for how he did it. I remember him talking about these and other things he designed in several threads but one example...

If you look through his thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/wilmar1006/designs you will find additional information on how he used the various pieces and some of the alterations he made. I don't remember what the "final" version was but he (and others) did some experimentation to get different versions of the different pieces.
Thanks for the link, I did pick up a tip on increasing the min layer time to help close off the bulb tip.

I found a RBL design on thingiverse a while back. It was the bulb, the base and a 5 bullet pixel holder. I've printed about 8 of them out. It's a really neat design. The bulb screws into the base and the pixel holder is held in by a 1/4-20 bolt. It takes a while to print but they look very good. I've never seen a real RBL in person so I don't know the size comparison. They are as big as the Home Depot battery powered big lights.
I might be aiming a little bigger, 250mm bulb not including the threads. Below is 1/4 scale prototype.
Prototypebulb.jpg
The RBL bulb was inverted and the tip was a drain hole. I'm trying to close that off in my design.

The scale prototype looks pretty good! On the model, maybe taper in the threads a bit at the beginning?
I've had to increase my min layer time in spots like that too.

I've changed the angle at the tip to not be as steep. Running a test print now.

If I can't get a good result I may have to print in two pieces, 95% vase mode, 5% wall/infill.

Back