A challenge for everyone

plasmadrive

Supporting Member
Challenge:
How about something new.. So many matrix and coro prop copies out there.. so many mega trees that look the same..

Show us something new that you made that maybe someone else hasn't made or used.. Or perhaps has had limited exposure.

To be honest, the same old things over and over with only minor changes (if any at all) are getting boring. I know we have some very amazing minds here.. show us what you got!

Happy New Year All

For me, I took HomeDepot candy canes, stripped out the incan lights and put a pixel strip in them. Did both the small 10"ish ones and the taller (but I haven't seen them in the stores for sometime). I just picked up another end of season set so next year I will have 24 of them flashing and blinking out front!

A couple of days ago I finally tested pixels that have no output to see if they could receive data from a single point like a data rail.

Sure enough they work as if in parallel .This eliminates the grief associated to serial wiring for complex props .

Interesting challenge

While I don't use coro, I do use CPVC pipe and plywood.

Currently on my plate:

I'm finishing up a 2x2 (48"x16") Ledtriks panelset for over my garage door,

plywood 36" 200pixel snowflake to compliment my 8foot pixel star,

murata/muranti (1/8" underlay ply) 2x 8foot tall candy canes, more pixels!,

under soffit Chanel is currently being made at my local HVAC ductwork shop,

To be completed;

RBL mounting posts (concrete based clothesline poles) to string them up for next year.

Got to be my seed pixel mega tree. A big mega tree is always the star of the show.
Same too goes for the coro star. It was designed, printed, cut, punched and lights soldered in.

Soon this year I have more props to make with coro and the seed pixel lights. It's much cheaper shipping them down under than bullet nodes.

Not new, as it was one of the first things I built, but I have my 150 Pixel star. Using J channel, 15 pixels to a segment (half a leg) @ ~2.8" spacing. I'm planning on adding 2 additional stars or layers within it. Figuring 10 and 5 pixels per segment respectively. I have to play with the spacing to get it right. And, I want to add some type of bracket to the outside and inside corners to help hold the correct angles to make the star angles equal. The J channel is hinged at the points and it helps to put it away, but when I go put it up I have to play to get the shape and look right.

StarLit.jpg

Last edited:
I found out you can take a lot of the techniques used in Xlights and apply them on the live stage. That's different. I'm configuring my virtual light board to receive e1.31 and layer Xlights on top of cue stacks. I don't see why the average hobbyist can't run the lights on stage, and even produce a lot of quick chase effects, with just a few quick pointers. It's just instead of 30,000 pixels, 9 pixel2ac floods, 1 projection, and 4 moving heads, now it's 5,000 pixels, 4 projections, 18 moving heads, and 36 DMX floods.

Back