Access to Com Port Denied

Photovor

I posted this in the bugzilla, but thought I'd post it here as well, in case someone else wants to share their experience.

I have a program consisting of 4 sequences. About 15 minutes total. Each
sequence uses the same profile, which has these settings:

-Channels 1-48, Simple 595 Plugin
-Channels 49-64, Renard Dimmer (modified), Com port 1, Hold port open

In the Program settings, I have this:
-Sequence 1, Sequence 2, Sequence 3, Sequence 4
-Use each sequences plugin setup, I've also tried "Use a profile"
-0 seconds of cross fade

The error I'm getting is between sequences:
"Collection was modified. Enumeration operation may not execute". and in
another dialog box: "Access to Com Port 1 Denied"

I've gone through each sequence and re-attached the profile, but I still get
the same problem. It was happening randomly during playing the program.

I've since detached the profile from each of the sequences, and I still randomly get the Com Port issues.

What version of Vixen are you using? I had the same problem when I was using 2.09. I downgraded to 2.05 and it went away.

I occaisionally had the same issue and i either have to delete the old program and build a new program, save it and restart or found unplugging the comp ports and shutting down then opening the program and trying to play it then pluging the com ports in it goes away.

i think this comm port issue is the work of the modified plugin. from what i can tell the modified plugin came in as of 2.0.5.1. so it was unmodified as of 2.0.5.

i would try the unmodified plugin from the 2.0.5 beta and see if the issue goes away.

Peter

scorpia said:
i think this comm port issue is the work of the modified plugin. from what i can tell the modified plugin came in as of 2.0.5.1. so it was unmodified as of 2.0.5.

i would try the unmodified plugin from the 2.0.5 beta and see if the issue goes away.

Peter

ah well, there goes my idea

LOL, I was hoping the same thing.

I had the issue myself, and the old version of the plug-in did not help. (renard 2.0.3 and 2.0.4)

I'm using 2.09 without any real issues.

I have noticed similar behaviour occasionally. I exit Vixen and bring up task manager, it shows Vixen still running (as a process, not an application).

I end the process, restart Vixen, and all is well.

Ok- so tried it with the older 2.0 version. Same problem. Apparently this is a known issue, that has a pretty good history. I'm just wondering why there isn't a solid fix for this yet. I could sit and babysit it all night long, but that defeats the purpose of the scheduler. Especially if I have to kill the task and start over every 15 minutes.

I think what I'm going to do is make a 15 minute sequence that has all 3 of my songs, and just cut and paste all the sequences together. Hopefully that'll avoid this technical issue. I'm gonna get tired of resetting this every 15 :)

On the setup for the plugin do you have the 'Hold port open during the duration of the sequence execution'? I had problems using this and disabled it.

Have you tried using the Program plugin feature? I think a lot of the time the com port error comes up is because people are using plugins in the sequences or profile. My theory is that the Program will hold the port open for the entire length of the program. The sequences and profile open and close the port for each sequence and this causes the conflict. The next sequence opens the port before the previous one closes it. This is just a theory form someone who knows less than a little bit about it. I may be totally wrong but I have not seen the com port issue in some time and I use the program plugin feature. Give it a try and see what happens.

Have you tried using the Program plugin feature? I think a lot of the time the com port error comes up is because people are using plugins in the sequences or profile. My theory is that the Program will hold the port open for the entire length of the program. The sequences and profile open and close the port for each sequence and this causes the conflict. The next sequence opens the port before the previous one closes it. This is just a theory form someone who knows less than a little bit about it. I may be totally wrong but I have not seen the com port issue in some time and I use the program plugin feature. Give it a try and see what happens.

Brian this is what I do also. It is important for us to point out that you need to disable the plugin's in the seqences that are in your program if you use the programs plugins. It can cause problems if both the seqence and program have plugin's setup.

RJ

This is my first year at all this so I am not as knowledgable as others, but I will add my two cents on what has worked for me during the past three nights I have been testing and tweaking. I have had no issues within a program run, only when I have tried to switch between multiple programs back to back which makes sense why the comm port would be in use.

I have only had the comm port issue when I tried to switch between programs, meaning I tried to have one program of sequences end at 6pm and another program of sequences start at 6pm. I modified the timer file, as suggested on this message board, and was able to move between different programs with a 2 minute downtime without any further issues since the comm port was released.

I have not disabled the plugin for each of my sequences (which I may as it makes sense what has been said here) and have them set identically to the programs plugin. I do not use the sequence plugins, I use the programs plugin feature only. I have not disabled the hold port open check box either.

I am using 2.0.9. One thing I am doing a little differently than some is that I am using a USB to serial adapter that is using COM3 instead of the normal COM1 but I dont see right off how this would impact the issue that we are discussing, only adding in some additional detail.

Now that I have said this, I hope I didnt jinx myself.......

One other thing is the laptop I am using is a clean build of XP that has no other software installed and is used for no other purpose but Vixen.

It's working now. First of all thanks everybody for the ideas. I disabled the sequence plugins and set up the program plugins to run everything. Comm port problems disapeared.

Thanks again! You all rock!

Back