Adding audio to an existing sequence

MindTrik

I did a quick search and didn't see anything. Is HLS capable of say adding to an existing audio track. In my scenario, I want to add say 45 seconds to the FRONT of an existing track, keeping all effects that went with the existing track so I only have to resequence the new 45 seconds.

The safest way is to create a new sequence with the extended audio then save and transfer effects ( time consuming yes but fail safe )
With this method you can have both copies of the sequence open to make transfer less pain full .

There is another way that requires the replacing of files in the HLS/sequence folder .

I won't open forum post on this as it is not fail safe and could lead HLS users astray .

I think the other way Richard is referencing is something like this:
-take your original .wav or .mp3 file and add the amount of time you want as silence to beginning of track and then save it as something easy to remember (or add another smaller track, whatever floats your boat). You can do this quite easily with audacity, if you are unsure just ask.
-Now start a new sequence using the saved music file from above and save the sequence. This is so HLS converts the .mp3/.wav to a proper .PCM
-Copy the new .PCM file to the folder that holds your sequence and overwrite it.
-Now launch HLS and open your sequence and you will see all your effects start as if nothing changed but when you play the music you will notice the new music will play with the added silence or whatever you decide to add to the audio.
-To fix the effects not lining up, all you have to do is use the "Skew entire sequence left/right Number of tics", select Right and put in the number of time tics you added.
Everything will line up and you can add effects to the extra space, all effects will be there....
Of course, backup your sequence folder for the song in question before you do this just to be safe.

I think the other way Richard is referencing is something like this:
-take your original .wav or .mp3 file and add the amount of time you want as silence to beginning of track and then save it as something easy to remember (or add another smaller track, whatever floats your boat). You can do this quite easily with audacity, if you are unsure just ask.
-Now start a new sequence using the saved music file from above and save the sequence. This is so HLS converts the .mp3/.wav to a proper .PCM
-Copy the new .PCM file to the folder that holds your sequence and overwrite it.
-Now launch HLS and open your sequence and you will see all your effects start as if nothing changed but when you play the music you will notice the new music will play with the added silence or whatever you decide to add to the audio.
-To fix the effects not lining up, all you have to do is use the "Skew entire sequence left/right Number of tics", select Right and put in the number of time tics you added.
Everything will line up and you can add effects to the extra space, all effects will be there....
Of course, backup your sequence folder for the song in question before you do this just to be safe.

The something part of your post is why i did not post .
There is more to it than just the .PCM replacement .

I have had some successes and some disasters with editing audio , I am happy to see you stated backup .
I would go a step further and suggest making a complete copy of the sequence folder and not touching the original period . :)

The key step is to take the new audio file and then create a new sequence. This ensures the file is a proper .PCM, otherwise you are right and messing with the audio can cause issues. Creating a new sequence ensures HLS checks the file 1st to make sure it is a clean .wav/.mp3.
Just my experience, YMMV.
I asked Joe to add the feature of skewing the sequence a couple years ago, this was one of the reasons why I wanted it.

Just got around to messing with this. The problem I'm having is...after I lengthen the audio, replace the PCM file and open...the audio markers stop before the song ends. SO say the original song had audio timing marks to 1 minute 30 seconds. The timing marks still end at 1 minute 30 after the new PCM, but the song continues past where the numbered marks are. IF you try to skew over...it just cuts the effects off at that point???

Back