Allan Curry Renard settings

mrGrumpy

Allan Renard settings

First you need a Serial poutput from computer to your Renard. Typically it is RS485 protocol, + - and Grd, but many RS485 do not have GRD so you just use + & -

In Vixen, add your Renard controller – or SKIP if done……
Name it
Set the number of outputs.
You should see your Renard controller. Patch as a single output per channel

Renards have data on pins 4 (data-) & 5(data+) with GND on pins 1 & 2. I use CAT5 cable to connect from RS485 dongle to Renard RJ45 port.

Hope This Helps

Last edited:
Hi! Its me Allan. so you gotta have the renard controller hooked to the computer to set up your show? if you have two boards connected to each other do you have to have the second one connected too? do you have to use every channel on the board or can you just use certain ones because i like to connect my arches to these also.

Multiple renard controllers on a single serial output are treated as one large controller. For example, a Renard SS24 is actually three Renard SS8s wired in serial with each other.

I may be entering this thread late, but YES you have to have a "Computer" run your show and then be able to connect via ethernet cable to the RS485 Rx port on the 1st Renard. Now the Computer to run your show can be just a Single Board Computer such as a Raspberry Pi or a BeagleBone Black, or even just an ESPixelStick.

To add a 2nd controller you daisy chain from the Tx (transmit) port on the 1st Renard to the Rx (Receive) port on the 2nd Renard. Both Renards need to have the same Baud Rate setting as well.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking on using every channel. Every channel is assigned that is available on the controller, you can certainly choose not to use select channels leaving the channels set as Empty.

Re: Allan Renard settings

Hi! Its me Allan. so you gotta have the renard controller hooked to the computer to set up your show? if you have two boards connected to each other do you have to have the second one connected too? do you have to use every channel on the board or can you just use certain ones because i like to connect my arches to these also.

You do not need to use all channels or them in sequence 1-2-3-4------ You need to patch all channels so your computer knows your output, but you don't need to send data to all channels. Example: 2-24 channel controllers off comm port 3 and you use channels 1-12 of controller 1 and channel 25-30 (1-6) of controller 2

Ask us - we are here to help

Last edited:
Back