Alternative Monopixel Approach

P. Short

Super Moderator
Staff member
After reading the dirk's slightly reanimated Monopixel thread, I got to thinking a little bit about an alternate design based on the LEDancer project. The main advantage of this approach is that there are a lot fewer solder joints, and the wiring is a lot simpler (not as easy to mess up).

The basic idea is to use the same LEDs as with the LEDancer, but use a pcb that holds only one LED, and use ribbon cable to connect them together. A sample design for that PCB is included, the board being approximately 0.35" x 0.475". The attached board is good for up to 12 LEDs in a 'string', with the proviso that every third board would have to be flipped upside-down about the horizontal axis (and the LED mounted on that board with pin 1 in the upper left corner).

Just a thought coming out of Covid-19 boredom, as it's likely too late in the year to do anything about it (and assuming that the LEDs used with the LEDancer are still available and not too expensive).

Attachments

• noodle.png
    noodle.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Just for the heck of it I've ordered 36 pixel boards (similar to, but not identical to the picture in my last post) and some controller boards. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for the PCBs to arrive.

Back