Alternatives to BTA08

rogerv

Hello!
Last year I started a thread asking for solutions to random flickering. Somebody said that a good solution is changing BTA08 triacs for other triacs with less amp capacity on the SSR boards wich had a small load.
I've been browsing mouser.com searching for alternatives to BTA08 but I have no idea what triac I should use.
I think that I should use triacs of 0.5A or 1A max because i'm in 220V country and i need half AMPS to run the same power than in a 120V country. And as the SSRoz where designed in a 120V to run up to 4A and I never need to run this power in any of my SSR.
Could somebody advise me on what triacs choose?

Thanks!

I use BTA04, BTA06, BTA08... etc.

Any of this series should work fine as long as it meets or exceeds your amp requirements.

The amp total you list is only for the entire SSR, not any one channel / triac. So, you anything from a BTA04 and up is way more than enough capacity.

I would go with the triac that is listed in the Renard SS series BOM. Wayne tested that triac out and it appeared to fix the flickering issues.

I would go with the triac that is listed in the Renard SS series BOM. Wayne tested that triac out and it appeared to fix the flickering issues.

Yes, they do for the most part and to eliminate the rest, simply add some 47K resistors to the channels. Mouser# 66-CMO14702JLFTR.

Yes, they do for the most part and to eliminate the rest, simply add some 47K resistors to the channels. Mouser# 66-CMO14702JLFTR.

soyou can use the 600cw triac for a ssr board ? as your external ssr....if so...i would agree those triacs compared to at least the other triacs reduce flickering tons!!

So, if I understood it well, I can use BTA06 or 04 and then I add 47K resistors directly to the output of the SSR board or where they should go?

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

The suffix of the part-number is important in determining the susceptibility to flickering (i.e. the CW at the end of the p/n).

Wayne,
Where do you place the 47K resistors? Across the power output? (I've seen some there, but they were not identifiable in my purchased units.)

Wayne,
Where do you place the 47K resistors? Across the power output? (I've seen some there, but they were not identifiable in my purchased units.)

Yes - across the AC H/N lines. You can put them at either end or the middle - it doesn't really matter. Many folks have made plugs with them installed to plug in after your last string of stuff for instance.

Thanks.
I've seen what appeared to be larger resistors across the terminals in the Ren24ss units we purchased, but they were unidentifiable as to size or capacity. They appear to be coated to prevent corrosion. With 4 more SS units to put together, I'll do the same to them.

I made some testing with 47k resistors and it works really well, despite they get hot. But i'm thinking that maybe I should use bigger resistors because i'm using 230V and all of you are using 47k resistors in 120V. Should I go with 80k resistors or more?

Back