Amazing Piano Choreography

deonb

This is such an amazing video. Was this done by someone on the Forum?

The arches look like HDPE arches and pixels throughout.

At one time someone on one of the forums was working on a keyboard based controller. This brought back thoughts of that.
And I too would like to know if this is someone on the forums. The player looks familiar. Perhaps from one of the Expos.

This was shot in Utah. Quote from the website on it. The piano player is Jon Schmidt from the famous Piano Guys.

Quote " And AN EXTRA SPECIAL THANK YOU to the Richardson and Smart families for lending their incredible homes for this light show and lending so much joy to thousands who park and watch them each year. (Also many thanks to their neighbors for putting up with Jon’s racket! :)
To see the show: 1731 Hidden Valley Club Dr, Sandy, Utah"

Tom is a great guy, and definitely a "master" of telling stories in lights. He's a bit of a perfectionist (sorry TB), but once you get to know him - even a little - you will understand it is that which leads to great sequences and fantastic imagery. Case on point, this video. Wonderful.

I suspect the light show was completed without the piano player and the good timing and editing made it look like the piano was actually controlling the lights. Just my skeptical 2 pennies.

I suspect the light show was completed without the piano player and the good timing and editing made it look like the piano was actually controlling the lights. Just my skeptical 2 pennies.

Oh I have no doubt that the pianist is taking his cue from the lights rather than the other way around.

Similar to when a symphony plays a movie score “in concert” with the movie playing behind them.

Doesn’t detract from the beauty of it though.

I don't know how this was done but it could easily be accomplished using existing midi inputs and E1.31 or DMX outputs.

The site linked below is lean on details but it talks about using midi in and DMX out.

https://sites.google.com/site/rpidm...ridge/successfully-tested?overridemobile=true

I imagine that in less than an afternoon of coding a developer could easily produce a midi input to xSchedule, Vixen 3, or FPP. I haven't added it to my ToDo list yet but having that feature in FPP would let my son really "play" the lights instead of me sequencing them to a recording of him that I made with my iPhone. [emoji4]

I would guess the song was sequenced and then the pianist played the song with the sequence. Cool idea and video.

Oh that would be awesome if you added a midi input for FPP My son wants to build a Midi controller piano light show. He has the midi part working on the pi, just needs the interface part for controlling the lights. And at a stand still for now.

Oh that would be awesome if you added a midi input for FPP My son wants to build a Midi controller piano light show. He has the midi part working on the pi, just needs the interface part for controlling the lights. And at a stand still for now.

OK, I have this partway done with proof of concept code working. I have a patch to fppd which reads from a MIDI input and turns on/off FPP Pixel Overlay models based on the notes coming in on the MIDI port. I tested it with a virtual MIDI device, but it should work the same when I get a chance to test with a USB MIDI adapter after it arrives in the mail from Amazon.

Tonight, I went to our Yamaha YDP-181 and had my son play one of his Christmas recital songs so I could record it. I saved the MIDI recording to a USB stick and copied it to the FPP system and then played the .MID file on the virtual MIDI device using ALSA's 'aplaymidi'. fppd read the data from the virtual MIDI input and I was able to show my son that FPP was making my arches light up to match the notes he had just played on the keyboard. Once I get the USB cable, I should be able to hook the keyboard up sending live data to FPP. Our indoor tree with 200 pixels on it is about 5 feet away from the Yamaha, so I plan on testing the code live there first.

I still need to add some more enhancements and some form of UI. Currently, each note pertains to a single Pixel Overlay model and the code requires pixels. The pixel colors and brightness are determined by the velocity from the MIDI data. I want to set it up so that you can have multiple Pixel Overlay models per note as well as allow single-channel models in addition to pixel models. For pixel models, I'd like to have a few options such as whether to hard code a color or intensity or determine those using the velocity or perhaps by the note.

Wow! That was quick and very cool. My son will be excited. He is a computer science university student and plays the piano for fun. I am a second year user of FPP so have lots to learn about pixel overlays and other features.

Regards
Kevin
Logan UT.

Wow! That was quick and very cool. My son will be excited. He is a computer science university student and plays the piano for fun. I am a second year user of FPP so have lots to learn about pixel overlays and other features.

Regards
Kevin
Logan UT.

I live just over the hill from you. PM me your address... would love to see others creations in this group that live close by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back