Animated Jack Skellington

dirknerkle

Supporting Member
I threw this together over the past few days... I bought the piece from a store-closing, after-Halloween sale about 3 years ago but just got around to adding motion. I still have a little cleanup to do on it, some sewing, and finishing-up the wiring/Arduino to hide it inside the back of the tuxedo.

https://vimeo.com/697767178

Sharply dressed !
That is a great addition to your display arsonal and would fit a Christmas theme too .
One of my daughters is over the moon with skellington and the Nightmare before Christmas.

Fun stuff .

Looks like not all of the engineers abandoned the basement. Nice work.

Luckily, the engineers left some notes and I was able to scrape a lot of the dried drool and/or crazy glue off so I could read them.

This Jack Skellington prop stands only 34" tall and under the clothing, its frame uses the same kind of flimsy wire you'd find in clothes hangers -- easy to bend, cut, and with barely enough integrity to hold up the fabric. The head didn't even stay up -- it would just flop down onto the body. Even now, I think if you look at it too hard it'll fall over. The 1/2" PVC pipe almost completely fills the arms so there's no extra room for those tiny, square-ish, 9g servos -- I'll have to sew some extra black material around the elbows to cover the elbow hinges. I had planned to put the batteries inside the prop's legs, but the trousers aren't wide enough for batteries, so I'm currently thinking I'll mount the prop on top of a some sort of a stand and put the batteries inside that. I think I have a black plastic box that can work and I can glue the feet to it. The prop retailed for $19.95 and I think I paid $5 for it in a store-closing after Halloween sale. At the time, I thought I'd paid too much for it but I knew I had a bunch of these little servos and the thing is so cheaply made, I thought there'd be very little weight for them to lift. Plus, I had about a dozen of these little Arduino Pro-Mini's that are only 1.25" long x 5/8" wide and I was having trouble finding uses for them.

Last edited:
Back