Animated Snowman Project

For some of you that may be wondering if this project will ever be finished, here's a little status update... and a video...

We are making hands to attach to the arms. We decided to animate the mouth with LEDs instead of a physically moving mouth because of snow issues and clogging, etc. Same with the eyes, which are replaced with some blue LEDs. We've named him "Lars, da Sveeedish Snoman" primarily because of the blue eyes, I guess... The electronics is mounted and everything is working properly. We are almost ready to start Lars' sequencing, but this year he'll only be doing announcements, so we have to write those first. We will be sealing the foam body and spraying it with fake snow, and we'll use ctmal's excellent software for animating the arms and head.

The video only shows a test of the head and head circuits after mounting it on the body. No arms are attached (but they plug in). Each eye can be individually controlled, as can the three lip elements that make up the mouth. I won't go into the explanation of why only three...

[VIMEO]75820865[/VIMEO]

Thats great !!!! Wish I had the time and money to do projects like that !!!!!

Spare plywood, some 2" thick construction insulation high-density foam, a dozen cans of spray foam insulation, a few LEDS, a small piece of coroplast, 3 or 4 servos, it's not a horribly expensive thing but it's a little time-consuming....

The DIGWDF engineers have been messing around with the face animation and wanted me to post this... their first try at making Lars sing...

He's still in the garage while arm and head movements are being finished, and Mrs. Dirk is knitting a long scarf for him, but he'll be out there sometime this week... with luck...

[vimeo]80171339[/vimeo]

The DIGWDF engineers have been messing around with the face animation and wanted me to post this... their first try at making Lars sing...

He's still in the garage while arm and head movements are being finished, and Mrs. Dirk is knitting a long scarf for him, but he'll be out there sometime this week... with luck...

[vimeo]80171339[/vimeo]

thats awesome :) !!

Lars is finally making it into the show this year... hauled him out and plugged him in today alongside Elf House and Santa's Workshop.

Attachments

• 2014_setup.jpg
    2014_setup.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 74
Oh he looks so happy.... Poor guy has been sitting in the garage looking out the window for how long now???... Prolly had to wipe the tear marks off the painted spray foam..

Thought I should finish this up with what the final project looked like...

Merry Christmas to you all!

[vimeo]113465370[/vimeo]

Back