Another DMX/Renard Node

DynamoBen

Super Moderator
I'm designing a DMX/Renard node and was wondering if others were interested in it. The reason I'm asking is if there is interest in it I would like a little feedback before moving forward. If there isn't much interest then I will go ahead with what I've got.

What I have at the moment is based around the Wiznet W5200 and it has 5 RS485 ports. There are two data indicator LEDs per RS485 port. There are also jumpers to switch between DMX or Renard pin-outs. For configuration I was thinking about either a character LCD and switches, a web interface, or maybe dip switches or rotary switches.

If I make this for myself I may get rid of the DMX/Renard jumpers, and will probably go with an LCD. If there is interest in it I would keep the jumpers and be willing to get rid of the LCD for a more inexpensive or simpler configuration option. I might also be willing to entertain the idea of adding WIFI to it.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
hmmm... sounds interesting...

I'm interested in ANY Ethernet based controller.... as I've has such success with the Sandevices and the E1.31->DMX boards this year, I'm moving almost all my stuff to that next year!

Yes, the bridge is what I was going for. Both units (as you know) have simple, but nice web interfaces, witch I find easy to use. I would say stay on that track for config

YThe LCD should be an option (I like onboard tweakability but those LCD modules can be pricy) but remote tweaks via web interface would also be nice to have.

Because there isn't much interest in this project and I'm basically making this for myself the LCD will be required, and I won't be doing a webpage. It's either one or the other in this case and the LCD allows me to configure and troubleshoot w/o a PC.

Cool, understood. Want one of those LCDs? If that would work for you, I would be happy to send you one.

Cool, understood. Want one of those LCDs? If that would work for you, I would be happy to send you one.

The LCD I go with will need to be available via digikey and mouser, and be trans-reflective (so you can see it in the sun). As far as 3.3V, I don't much care about that since I normally use 5V LCD on the prop.

I still haven't decided how to run the 2 Renard 24SS from the GB. I plan on running Ethernet out for the E680, so I am just thinking one wire from the house (inside) to the "show" outside. This looked cool and an LCD outside could help diagnose network or other issues like, do I have a connection, am I receiving packets, what is the temp and humidity inside the enclosure.....added sensors optional :) but you get the idea. (yes I am aware of indicator lights for these purposes as well) I'm open minded at this point, and I know there are much easier ways to get this done e.g. run 2 (gasp!) cables from the control computer outside. I was reconsidering your Propcontroller for all this, but if you had this one locked down I thought I could be cool and copy you!

I was reconsidering your Propcontroller for all this, but if you had this one locked down I thought I could be cool and copy you!

All the code to create a node exists on the project site. In fact there is an example DMX node project that could be used, just swap it out for the Renard.

A couple folks were playing with the "Raw DMX" mode on the E68x controllers which could theoretically be used to drive your Ren24's in DMX mode. You would have to build some type of RS485 adapter to use it but if you dig around you might find the posts about it.

A couple folks were playing with the "Raw DMX" mode on the E68x controllers which could theoretically be used to drive your Ren24's in DMX mode. You would have to build some type of RS485 adapter to use it but if you dig around you might find the posts about it.

I thought about this, and I have all of Universe 4 on there too.
All the code to create a node exists on the project site. In fact there is an example DMX node project that could be used, just swap it out for the Renard.

Right you are sir! I think I will order some parts and stop hesitating.

Back