Arches made with 1 inch SharkBite PEX?

kdoyon

Hey everyone.

Has anyone made arches from 1 inch SharkBite PEX? I would’ve interested in hearing how it went, materials used, and your impressions of how it came out.

Ken

Yup, that's what I used:

https://vimeo.com/248722131

Pretty simple, straight-forward. I sealed each end with a 1" cap that I had drilled a cable-gland into, keeping the whole thing waterproof.

I did use strips in mine.

Last edited:
I made my arches from 1" Pex with bullet nodes inside. It was a little tight. I used a fish tape and then pulled them thru. My old arches were 3/4" PEX and 30/10 strip which I wouldn't recommend... That was tight..

all things being equal, pixel strip and mounting hardware, the mcmaster carr 2" stuff vs. the home depot shark bite is at least twice as much maybe a little more when you factor in shipping. so depending on how many you are doing, its 2 for the price of 1.

So did any of you have to do anything special to get the PEX to hold the arch shape (like heating it, etc.) or did you just have to secure the ends with a bottom cross bracket?

So did any of you have to do anything special to get the PEX to hold the arch shape (like heating it, etc.) or did you just have to secure the ends with a bottom cross bracket?

Nothing special. Just a simple cross-bracket at the bottom. Easily the simplest and most effective prop I have

I played with 3/4" Apollo brand and they wanted to bend sideways. How do you get them to stay upright? I loved the way dumb RGB's looked in them and wanted to progress to pixel strips, but with the bending am not sure. I also bought the 1" to use as well. (Lowes in North Florida marked the stuff down over 1/2 price back in the fall when changing brands). Any help would be appreciated as also had plans to use at our church's Christmas program. Thanks

all things being equal, pixel strip and mounting hardware, the mcmaster carr 2" stuff vs. the home depot shark bite is at least twice as much maybe a little more when you factor in shipping. so depending on how many you are doing, its 2 for the price of 1.

That's not that bad at all seems like it was ALOT more expensive when I looked into it.

Being a wooddorker I ripped a PT 2x4 into 2x2 and just drilled 1" inch holes and stuff the pex in. 1 smaller hole in center of arch to hold upright.

Cross bar 1/2" metal conduit 51"
1 in. PEX Length determined by LED strips and cross bar.
Strips 30 LED/10 pixels I used 1/2 of a 16 ft - 6 in roll.
Cross pcs. of conduit 24" (folds up against long cross bar, for storage).
Held down withArch 3.jpg

Last edited:
Yep. 1" pex from Home Depot mounted in 2x3 lumber. Pixel strips. The male connector end from DIYledexpress fits through the pex.

IMG_3488.jpg

IMG_3765.jpg

Back