Background Sequence bug

dkuntz

Background sequences do not properly re-fire (restart) after running a standard script. Mine all use the "Standard" module not "LedTriks" so not sure if that makes any difference. I first noticed this when I scheduled an "off" script to run but I also have a Trigger that runs a script that does the same. You have to run a standard sequence to get the program to "do" the background sequence again.

I'm still curious if this is a bug or expected behavior. It seems to me that the background sequence should kick in after running either a standard sequence or a script sequence. Background sequences currently don't fire after a script is run.

Sorry for not replying sooner, I was digging through the code. It was by design originally, but I think it can be changed.

It would be great if it could be changed. I have a script sequence that is run by a trigger. The trigger is physically headlights of passing cars. The trigger runs a script sequence that randomly runs one of five different "routines". The display also sits in an idle state with some lights still on. That is the purpose of the background sequence. I have been able to partially get around the fact that background sequences don't run after a script is run by having the trigger run a script sequence AND a standard sequence. The standard sequence it longer than any of the routines in the script sequence. This seems to works a lot of the time but not always in my testing. My guess is that it works as long as you don't re-trigger in the time after the routine finishes but before the standard sequence finishes. I am not positive but I think what happens is the script gets run but not the standard sequence cause it is currently running. When things happen this way the background sequence does not run until after another trigger which will happen with expected timing.

The trigger is physically headlights of passing cars. The trigger runs a script sequence that randomly runs one of five different "routines".

I was wanting to do something like that. What did you use for the headlight detection + triggering? At first I was thinking of using PIR devices, but I would need a bunch of them, so now I am thinking of just using a webcam and motion detector software to trigger a sequence. I think I would mainly just need to detect the headlights.

don

what about all of the people walking by are you going to forget them?

Good point. Since there's not other fancy displays on our street, I figured people would mostly be driving by rather than out for a walk, but you're right - people walking by should also be able to trigger it.

I suppose a regular outdoor motion detector (for controlling flood lights) would pick up people walking by okay (enough range), and then just use the zero-crossing portion of the Renard circuit and allow the PC to read it, although the lights might interfere with it.

don

Back