Basic Vampire plug question

Motionsavers

What happens if vampire plugs are not installed the exact way recommended to the ribbed side neutral?

I installed quite a few before I knew. All are working now but I’m sure some are not installed right.

Thanks for your input as I’m new to SPT-1 & vampire plugs.

For your average Christmas Light uses, it does not matter. I've installed some the wrong way too..... live and learn........

The only thing that would bother me about "getting them backwards" is if you are using vampire-tap-sockets. When backwards the hot side is the outer part of the socket (the screw?) where it should be the tip (deep down in the socket). Also if you are using the kind with the two different sized blades (polarized). In that case the wider blade is the neutral, the smaller the hot.

Safety is always a major issue for me. I would take the time and fix these now. Indexing the Neutral and power is important.....if not this year, what about next or the years after.

Last edited:
Huh, I didn't know you can install them the wrong way but I just checked and they are polarized. Looking at some of my dumb LED strings they are not polarized. So it's probably fine if you just use them for LED string lights. But you might end up using them for something else. Hence, I am going to fix them.

Back