best way to mount leds onto pvc pipe?

I ziptied mine on for window frames. Those suckers haven't moved two years strong now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I also zip tied mine in a cross cross pattern. It took some time but they don’t move at all. For the c9 bulbs I used 8”zip ties and had a good amount that I could hold onto and pull tight. It was not fast but I’m sure quicker than drilling holes in each.
09421e2272c0522327402ccbc1213435.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also zip tied mine in a cross cross pattern. It took some time but they don’t move at all. For the c9 bulbs I used 8”zip ties and had a good amount that I could hold onto and pull tight. It was not fast but I’m sure quicker than drilling holes in each.

I did mine in a similar pattern, but you need to keep in mine that staying hydrated while working is important! (LOL):rolleyes:

I mount mine in boscoyo strips and then zip tie the strips to the pipe. More recently I drilled holes in the pipe and pushed the Pixels into the holes.

For bullet notes, try some Boscoyo ChromaTrim. It comes in 4-foot or 7'9" lengths (v4). If you have square nodes, I'd just ziptie it on the PVC directly.

Thus far, I've used zip-ties. It takes some time but it's not that bad. What *is* bad is that my OCD kicks in and I'm out there several times during the season trying to re-align bulbs that are only slightly out of line. :blush:

Hi all,

Related to this thread, I created these window frames in PVC for a pair of double windows and am using Boscoyo strip and of course a pixel lands right where I have a tee for mid window support to prevent sagging. These sit (mostly friction fit) in windows where I have cultured stone surrounding the window so I have been hesitant to drill in to put any type of mounting hardware. Before pixels, I simply put them in and hot glued the corner. But with pixels they don't sit as flush as they used to so perhaps I need to rethink using a tee in the middle. That of course would be the easiest solution but I'm trying not to add too much to the project list. Do you think drilling out the tee and inserting the pixel through the tee into the strip would work?

Thanks.

Tim

window frame.jpg

Hi all,

Related to this thread, I created these window frames in PVC for a pair of double windows and am using Boscoyo strip and of course a pixel lands right where I have a tee for mid window support to prevent sagging. These sit (mostly friction fit) in windows where I have cultured stone surrounding the window so I have been hesitant to drill in to put any type of mounting hardware. Before pixels, I simply put them in and hot glued the corner. But with pixels they don't sit as flush as they used to so perhaps I need to rethink using a tee in the middle. That of course would be the easiest solution but I'm trying not to add too much to the project list. Do you think drilling out the tee and inserting the pixel through the tee into the strip would work?

Thanks.

Tim

View attachment 43540

Move your T over 1-1/2 inches so if falls in between Pixels. Will not be exactly center but close.

Move your T over 1-1/2 inches so if falls in between Pixels. Will not be exactly center but close.

That would certainly work but I'll need to see what that looks like on the window ... and get boss approval. The center mullion of the window is pretty narrow so it would certainly be noticeable during the day. I try to keep things as neat as possible so it looks presentable during the day as well.

It's an idea to fall back on for sure.

Tim

Hi all,

Thanks.

Tim

View attachment 43540

Tim,

2 thoughts...I think you should be able to drill through the Tee to insert the pixel from behind, or just leave it like it is. No one will see it at night, and you will be the only one to see it during the day.

Tim,

2 thoughts...I think you should be able to drill through the Tee to insert the pixel from behind, or just leave it like it is. No one will see it at night, and you will be the only one to see it during the day.

You don't think that will mess up a nice horizontal line at night?

Hi all,

Thanks.

Tim

View attachment 43540

I don’t use the strips like you have. All of mine are drilled through the pvc. Yes, it was a lot of drilling, over 4,000 holes. Mine are drilled through tees, corners and the pvc pipe. I have window frames. Door frames. Roof peak and gutter outlines all drilled through 1/2” pvc with 1/2” holes. They are solid and have no flexing, bending, warping or breaking. I take them down in January whatever the temp is and no problems. If you drill the pvc use a step drill bit do not use a regular twist bit.

I am moving from a bad zip tie job to drilled 1/2 PVC. I drilled through the pipe elbows the same as through the pipe. No issues.

Ugh now you gave me a new idea! Last year I moved to PVC frames for my C9 roof outlines (non-pixel, just LED strands). I zip tied the wires to the PVC right next to the bulb base so they stuck straight up.

However, taking them out of storage a bunch of the bulbs were crooked and I felt like I spent nearly as much time putting it up again as when I first built it. The idea was it was supposed to save time! I was debating giving up on the PVC frames and go back to shingle clips until I saw this photo!

I like your cross ziptie idea, and putting it around the base instead of the wire like I did. Looks like it holds up better!

Hi all,

Thanks.

Tim

View attachment 43540

I have encountered this problem too (I use 3D printed clips). If you add a pixel the centre is blank and the pixels fall adjacent to the tee. This is harder to do with Chromatrim since the pixel spacing is fixed but the same principle applies, start at the middle, align the adjacent pixels and move outward to the end points.

Last edited:
I have encountered this problem too (I use 3D printed clips). If you add a pixel the centre is blank and the pixels fall adjacent to the tee. This is harder to do with Chromatrim since the pixel spacing is fixed but the same principle applies, start at the middle, align the adjacent pixels and move outward to the end points.

The only issue with that approach is that I'm trying my best to have a pixel perfectly in each corner of the window frame ... which I accomplished but didn't realize the middle pixel falls perfectly on a tee. Perhaps I shouldn't try to be a perfectionist and just play with the pixel spacing. I doubt anyone would notice most are 3 in spacing but some are 2 or 4 in to account for the need to not fall perfectly on the tee.

I'll probably try drilling out a spare tee first to see how that goes. If it blows up, I'll play around with the pixel spacing.

Back