best way to mount leds onto pvc pipe?

Personally I think uneven pixel spacing will be noticeable unless you’re only talking 1/2” or less. If you’re going to drill pvc make sure you use a step drill. A twist drill will not work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pvc drill sm.jpg

drill fixture sm.jpg

I use 1/2 inch schedule 40 PVC.
I drill all the way through using a 12mm forstner bit. Using this non fancy schmantzy, low tech, made from scrap plywood and an old 1/2 in dowel rod, drill fixture.
Then I come back and redrill the backside using a 1/2 in standard bit.
Holds a 12mm bullet pixel perfectly without any fasteners.
Works great! The only thing you have to pay attention to is to make sure the hole pattern doesn't start to swirl on you. So I draw a straight line accross the entire length of the pipe before I start drilling and make sure I follow the line.

Here is my show. Made almost entirely of drilled PVC. I drilled over 3400 holes this way using a small drill press I picked up at a yardsale for 15 bucks..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1bcOqwF7bk

notched tee.jpg
I actually take a grinder and notch out my Tee's to maintain my 2 1/4 inch spacing.
I probably should have taken a picture of one that didnt have so much material removed. This one has been a little bit over ground :)
But it still holds together fine with a couple of tie wraps.

Personally I think uneven pixel spacing will be noticeable unless you’re only talking 1/2” or less. If you’re going to drill pvc make sure you use a step drill. A twist drill will not work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ended up drilling through the tee and it worked perfectly. This allowed me to keep the vertical PVC in line with the mullion of the window where I put two homemade PVC clips that are hot glued on. Seems to have worked perfectly.

Tim

Back