Big W LEDs

Hi Matt i have 2 sets of these red led extensions you need i bought them cos they were there you are welcome to them send me your address and i will post asap . now if you have any blue ones !!!!!!!!
Now before i blow any of these other ext i have up what voltage do they run on?
HO HO HO merry christmas:D:-D:-D

24 volt ac

Last edited:
Polar Bear thanks for the offer. PM sent

As for the operating voltage,, check out post 47
I run my Wreath (it uses the same LED extensions) off 33 volts DC, so have to put a series R in each string.

So that leaves only 2 green to go.

Cheers
Matt

i have been out to BIG Ws on the East and South-East today. only Blue and one green.

I did pick up some blue icecle extensions that I may not need, so can trade those as well.

At this stage, if ANYONE has spare RED or GREEN, I can swap BLUE or purchase.

For those of us who never got to Big W (me), could someone post a pic of these LED extension strings so we can see what they look like (just curious) :p

Hey Team,
might be worth ringing friends in Ballarat...
I was there yesterday at BW and picked up a few extensions (warm white - last set mislabelled, red and green) - my focus was more on Kmart lights (spent all my gift cards given to me on request) "for the wife" ;)

None the less, there was a stack of reds, greens and blue there as at 10:00am yesterday (and no I didn't have my iphone with me so couldn't let you all know... my phone is a work phone - and I'm on my days off)..

it appears that Ballarat people are not as keen on christmas lights as in Melbourne!
Might be something useful to know.. maybe checking "further out" might be a better opertunity for bargins.

Note to self: only buy lights in Ballarat next year!

Cool, I happen to venture into the christmas Isle as the local BIG-W anf found several lonely packs 2x green and 2x Blue. So with Polar Bears Reds I am now set.

Cheers and many thanks to the community.
Matt

For those of us who never got to Big W (me), could someone post a pic of these LED extension strings so we can see what they look like (just curious) :p

Docjon

There's not much around this way, Christmas eve l went to wav gardens none, heaps of blue at fountain gate, none in keysborough, haven't tried endevour hills.

Attachments

• Big W led.JPG
    Big W led.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 36
Thanks Goldie,

My closest store would be Forest Hill, just haven't had the time to get down there. Looks like ill be waiting for next year :) Never mind

I just have returned from 4 Local Big W stores and have purchased 25 packets of the Led Strings for $8.97 but unable to locate any starter packs or transformers. I will use these packs to create my Mega tree for 2010 Xmas. Can any body provide me detailed modification instructions?

1. How is the voltage regulated thru the supplied Transformer Why is it that the same transformer can power up 120 led and can also do up to 600 led connected together without making any physical alterations ?

2. When i power these LED Strings they chase, when i connect them to the SSR board what phyiscal modification is required to be performed to make them adaptable to the SSR boards ?

3. I have read through this fabulous forum that Laptop transformers are suitable to be used for LED Strings :idea: i have access to 50 Laptop transformer with the following specs how can i calculate if these transformers will be suitable to light up the strings
specs.
  • Input (100v-240v~1.2a-0.6a) : Output 15v-5A
4. How can i work out how many leds the above transformer can light up ?
is there a info link or thread that provides more details on how to calculate the power supply for leds ?

cheers

I just have returned from 4 Local Big W stores and have purchased 25 packets of the Led Strings for $8.97 but unable to locate any starter packs or transformers. I will use these packs to create my Mega tree for 2010 Xmas. Can any body provide me detailed modification instructions?
Don't we all wish for "detailed Instructions"
First you need to determine how tall your tree will be.
If you bought the extensions shown Goldie's photo, they are 12m long with LEDs every ~100mm
However they are really connected this way:
  • 2 parallel strings of 10 (or 15 if Red) spaced at 200mm
  • one circuit offset by 100mm to the other.
this effectively gives you 6 stings in parallel 2mtres long for Blue, White and Green and 4 strings in parallel 3 meters long for Red.
Cutting them in half is probably a good start if your front yard can take a 6 metre tree! Mine can't, so I am sticking with 4 metre and will deal with the Reds as I need to.
1. How is the voltage regulated thru the supplied Transformer Why is it that the same transformer can power up 120 led and can also do up to 600 led connected together without making any physical alterations ?
LEDS take "poopy" power, one exrtention only requires 60 to 90mA. the supplied 24V 10VA transmfer is caplae of 420mA.
2. When i power these LED Strings they chase, when i connect them to the SSR board what phyiscal modification is required to be performed to make them adaptable to the SSR boards ?
I take it you mean the once with the start pack chase. We generally don't use the starter packs. As for mods I intend to parallel each string and treat as a single cct. you could use two ccts per string and maintain the chase effect.
3. I have read through this fabulous forum that Laptop transformers are suitable to be used for LED Strings :idea: i have access to 50 Laptop transformer with the following specs how can i calculate if these transformers will be suitable to light up the strings
specs.
  • Input (100v-240v~1.2a-0.6a) : Output 15v-5A
4. How can i work out how many leds the above transformer can light up ?
is there a info link or thread that provides more details on how to calculate the power supply for leds ?
Not for these extension packs. Check out posts 35 and 36 of this thread. you need about 27 volts.
It would be goo to use the transformes on another projects.

Cheers

Got the misses to run around on boxing day (I was working). She managed to buy box's of 250 odd LED's from KMart. I have realised and been annoyed by the two channel sets out this year and been aware of them since they hit the stores. Had to pay top doller for a four channel set. Even the more expensive sets from Bunnings and others are all two channel. My idea is to wire the two channels together and have all four colours on/off together. This will work for some of the projects I have in stall for next year but at $9.60 per 250 LED's (that are rather bright and nice colours) I could not pass up getting a few more.....well almost 7500 LED's to be correct.
Roll on 2010.
Josh

hi all.. i was lucky to get 12 packs at that $9 price (50% off)
i just connected one set to a 24v ac tranformer, and they seemed to look nice an bright, (semi flickering)
will i blow them if i continue to use this sort of power pack for them?
thanks in advance
alec.

Corio (Geelong) Kmart is out, i grabbed the last set of multi colored LED's. Havent been to the other store in Geelong, but they had very few to Start with. BigW is also a bust, have a very small varity this year and there are onlt scraps left.

Andre

Back