Box options, for daughter boards?

51fordf2

Hi, all...

I am using a CG-1500 box, for my Network Controller card, and CG-1000's for my Network Node cards. I am wondering what people are using for the Daughter Boards? I am not using the SSR Daughter boards, because I have 100's of the SSRNeon's. So they are the smaller first-gen daughter boards. I am thinking they "might" fit in the CG-500 boxes, but I was wondering if anyone had tried one. I am a little concerned about the 5 V wart, that powers it, fitting inside with it.

I know they'll fit in the 1000's, but that's a lot of "real estate", for not a whole lot of card, but maybe necessary?

Anyone have any experience? Chris, you there? Have you tried it?

Thanks,

Roger

nope have not tried it...but I have the CG-500 that may work.

Yeah, I know, and that's what I'm debating - the problem is, I need 12 of them, and I'd hate to get 12, and find they WON'T work...WLC, of course!

Guess I'll have to take the CG-500 specs, mock up a box, and see if I can make it work. I know that "double box" that we talked about a couple years ago, works, but I've used all those, with SSr's. And I still have a bunch of the 200's left. I'm pretty sure the daughter boards will fit the 500, but not sure with the "wart". Maybe I'll need to put the daughter board in a 500, and a 200 next to it, for the "wart"...

Arrgggh, decisions, decisions!

Thanks,

R

Roger,

When I built mine in '09 (and subsequently never used), I used the CG-1000 enclosures. I figured the extra space for all of the cat-5 cables was worth it. See the attached pic.

I'll prolly sell my Helix next spring to someone who can use it, because I don't know if I will.

I used the CG-1000 for mine but I also put a SSRez in with the daughter board. I thought I would always need a SSR near the daughter card might as well use the same enclosure. I can post a picture this weekend of the CG-1000 with daughter card and SSR (I will have to get it out of storage). I also just got a CG-500 from Chris. I will test out the daughter card and wall wart in it tomorrow and post a picture.

Here is the pic of the CG-500 and a daughter board. If you secure the wall wart in the lid, you will have plenty of room.

View attachment 12012

Last edited:
I used the CG-1000 for mine but I also put a SSRez in with the daughter board. I thought I would always need a SSR near the daughter card might as well use the same enclosure. I can post a picture this weekend of the CG-1000 with daughter card and SSR (I will have to get it out of storage). I also just got a CG-500 from Chris. I will test out the daughter card and wall wart in it tomorrow and post a picture.

Here is the pic of the CG-500 and a daughter board. If you secure the wall wart in the lid, you will have plenty of room.

Woohoo, thanks! I have a case of them on order. I already have boxes for about 600 channels, of SSR's, so was more concerned about size. Although not a LOT smaller than the 1000's, enough to make me happy, and since I had to buy, anyway...

EDIT - Socks with flip flops?? How gauche! haha.gif

I'd say this one is put to rest.

R

Last edited:
Okey-dokey - got my CG-500 boxes from WLCVentures (thanks, Chris!). I made a backing plate, with unclad fiberglass, and 1/2" standoffs. Plenty of room in the box, even with the 5v wart.

View attachment 12127

I have a few "extra" CG-1000 boxes, and might use one or two of them, if I need SSR's along with the daughter board, as suggested. We'll see, but these give me an option.

I'm looking into using a wire holder, screwed in below the board, to hold the wart. You know, one of those "fold-over" type, that screw down. then I can zip tie it there.

thanks, all...

Roger

Back