Buffer/line driver - null pixel without pixel

RobG

The most common way to combat effects of cable capacitance (and other issues) and improve signal quality is to use null pixel.
That means you have to make sure you add all those null pixels to your sequence.
The better solution I think would be to create a small buffer/line driver board which could be used instead of null pixel.
The good thing about it is that it will work with any pixel protocol, will be transparent to the sequence, and will work with any voltage.

Bld-1.png

Here is the wiki page.
And how to waterproof.

Note:

SOLD OUT.

Last edited:
Not yet, production has been delayed (not my fault,) but they should be here in few days. Will send invoices once I have them in hand.

Boards are in (buffer/line driver, 10W, & 20W,) I will test them tonight and start sending invoices.

I've been reading about these but haven't found a straight forward answer to a few questions. I'm hoping someone here can offer some simple answers...

1. How far can this buffer be from the controller? I know this is controller specific and I'm using an E682 12V controller with 18 awg wire. From what I've read, I'm guessing 20-25 feet. Does that sound right?

2. After this buffer, how far can you run to the first pixel?

3. If the answer to #2 isn't far enough to reach my display, do I just add another buffer, or do I need to add a null pixel and then the buffer?

Thanks in advance for your help. And thank you Rob for making this possible!!!

1. This board should be used to "boost" signal, it should not be used as a signal conditioner, meaning it should be placed right after pixel or controller with weak output (all pixels have weak outputs.) However, since the driver has a Schmitt trigger input, it will work as a conditioner (can be placed before the pixel.)
2. In my tests, I used >100' of #18 cable and had no issues, but it all depends on the type of cable and the environment, so you should test in your setup.
3. You can daisy chain those boards, but one should do the job

Here is the wiki (still in works, but you will get the idea.)

The buffer does the same thing as a null pixel, but the buffers output is stronger than that of a pixel. On my display, I put a buffer every 15' when the run between data source and data end is more than 20'. On some of my controller outputs I have found that the first buffer needs to be within the first 12" (weak output driver).

I don't think there can be any hard and fast rules. It all depends on the quality of the wire, the quality of the connectors, the quality of the data source and the amount of electrical noise in the surrounding environment.

I added to the spreadsheet. If it's too late to order, just delete my line. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The buffer does the same thing as a null pixel, but the buffers output is stronger than that of a pixel. On my display, I put a buffer every 15' when the run between data source and data end is more than 20'. On some of my controller outputs I have found that the first buffer needs to be within the first 12" (weak output driver).

I don't think there can be any hard and fast rules. It all depends on the quality of the wire, the quality of the connectors, the quality of the data source and the amount of electrical noise in the surrounding environment.

Received the drivers and am now wondering if anyone has played with using Cat-X wiring (twisted pair), to power displays instead of regular "extension cord-type" wire?

If so, how did you split the wires up between V+, V- & Data?

What kind of distances were you able to achieve over non twisted pair wire?

Thanks,
Charlie-

Charlie,
This has been discussed repeatedly here on the forums. You can do a search for it and get a few different methods.

Usually, orange/white is used for data then the remaining white/stripes are used for V++. Orange is used for signal ground, and the remaining solid color lines are used for V--. Distances have been reported to be quite good.

This is DIY, and there are a dozen different ways people have done this. Make note that this is just one method.

I am now using Cat5 stranded cable for all of my long runs. I can go 30' easily from a Falcon controller. I use the Orange/White for data, the rest of the White/Color for V+ and all of the Solids for V-.

I am now using Cat5 stranded cable for all of my long runs. I can go 30' easily from a Falcon controller. I use the Orange/White for data, the rest of the White/Color for V+ and all of the Solids for V-.

Thanks. So just to be clear...

Just the Orange/White wire (single conductor), not the pair of Or/Wh & Wh/Or for data?

Charlie-

Back