Bug in "Random"

BadWolf

I'm using version 2.0.9.0. I tried reporting this at bugzilla.vixenlights.com, but I get a message: "Either no products have been defined to enter bugs against or you have not been given access to any."

But anyway, when I use the random function, it works as expected in the highlighted channels, but it also destroys the channels that would have been in the highlighted location had I not moved them around in the profile.

Hope that makes sense.

To get around this, I had to first copy the channels that get destroyed, then use the random, then paste the other channels back in.

This is very repeatable, and if someone wants my sequence where I discovered this bug, I will be glad to supply it. I can explain it better with the sequence because I can say use random "here" and watch what happens up "there."

Later. . . . . . Brad

I think I know what your talking about. I had something like that happen to me, I kinda wondered why whole sections were disappearing until I worked out it was when I highlighted a chunk to use a preset effect.

Now, this happened to me before I set up a profile so it was a stand alone sequence and I had re-ordered the channels. There's a thread about it somewhere - but if I recall someone said to open the VIX file in notepad (or just a plain text editor) and go to the channel output and put them back in numerical order. I'll try and find the thread . . . . .
I must admit that didn't work everything was still all screwy, so I had to abandon it, but it might work for you. After that I set up a profile and have reordered channels and haven't had a problem since.

Additional:
http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4193 There you go. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

but it also destroys the channels that would have been in the highlighted location had I not moved them around in the profile.

These "moved" channels, how were they moved? Did you change the channel output or did you just reorder them for sequencing ease?

I think I know what your talking about. I had something like that happen to me, I kinda wondered why whole sections were disappearing until I worked out it was when I highlighted a chunk to use a preset effect.

toodle_pipsky, I checked the link you provided and it does sound like the same problem. I saw that it was recommended that you edit your profile with wordpad, but I want (need actually) the order of channels the way that I set them up. When I set up my display, I plugged into the SSR's in whatever was the easiest way and used the fewest cords, knowing that I could reorder the channels in Vixen. For example, some of my arches aren't in a "natural" order, and it would be real hard to sequence them if I couldn't reorder the channels.

Later. . . . . . . .Brad

These "moved" channels, how were they moved? Did you change the channel output or did you just reorder them for sequencing ease?

Brian, I just reordered them for sequencing purposes. The way my display is set up, I really need to reorder them. Once I figured out what was happening, I could deal with it, but it would be handy if randomize wouldn't affect other channels. Since I don't have dimming, I don't know if it happens with other functions such as sparkle, etc.

Later. . . . .. Brad

Sorry, reading the old post again, I had made a profile - boy oh boy is the memory shot these days!

I take it you don't want to just ditch this and start again? And fair enough if you don't want to loose man hours you put in.

Now I don't have the old profile so I can see what it was doing - like I said, ditched it because it wasn't working - but I did open my current profile. I'm going out on a limb here so I don't know if it'll work, probably worth taking a backup copy in case messing with it breaks it!

I'm just trying to work through this logically, so if you've already worked some of this out sorry! Looking at the file, seems to be channel info (like colours and names) and output info, plug in info then display order info. I think the key is the channel info at the top of the file matching. For example, I had to re-oder the output of all my stuff because LEDs weren't working on 1 board. So in the PRO file, a lot of channels aren't in order and I wouldn't want to put them in back into order BUT the number order listed under CHANNEL OBJECTS right at the top of the file matches the numerical order listed just under that.

TOP OF THE FILE
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Profile>
<ChannelObjects>
<Channel color="-1" output="0" id="633565070701875000" enabled="True">Snowflake 1</Channel>
etc. . . . . . .
<Channel color="-16776961" output="151" id="633615048255000000" enabled="True">Tree Spotlight 4</Channel>
</ChannelObjects>
<Outputs>0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19, etc. . . . .

Does that make sense?

Last edited:
Back