Build my first RGB light show for 2022

vila

So I have been looking at permanent house lights for the past year after seeing some YouTube videos. It was not until I saw a house display that really inspired me to actually do it. Doing some research I found that some people use vinyl J channel to hang the RGB lights on their house fascia. For my situation that looks like the best option for my setup.

My big plans but I'm starting small first then building from there.
Phase 1 - House fascia outline of the house with a wreath above the garage.
phase 2 - (Halloween something ???)
phase 2.1 - mini trees, Snow flakes, candy canes for Christmas
phase 3 - mega tree
phase 4 - add a matrix if I have space and it looks good.

I will be using vinyl J channel with square RGB led lights to outline my house fascia. I will probably use a falcon control board in the garage to control them with room to add other props that I will hang over the garage such as a wreath, singing light bulbs and outlining the garage door.

j-channel-10.5x.jpg
The photo above show the back side of the J Channel and how I will close the gap by adding think 3/4 inch cypress wood and add a hinge on the wood to access the pixels for maintenance later.

j-channel-corners0.5x.jpg
This image show how J channel will look once hung under the facia. It will be painted the same color of the facia once done. It also shows how the corners will be covered.

Now it's time for how I think I should run the data wires and power injection, if I run the lights at 100 percent brightness. From what I have ready people tend to run the lights around 20 to 30 percent brightness but I'm calculating for the worst so I know I have plenty of overhead if I want to go Clark Griswald on my neighbors . I found this grate calculator http://spikerlights.com/calcpower.aspx that helped me come up with what I think is the optimal set up. This is were I hope someone with some experience under their belt can tell me if I have done something wrong in my layout.

So I'm looking at 2 inch spacing on my pixels. The first image has the measurements of the runs and the number of pixels in each run. The second image has the starting points, power injections points and control box location. I'm assuming that 25ft will be the run from the control box to green and blue run starting points. Red I said was 5ft but it may be more like 10ft. But I will not know exactly till I place the control box is the garage.

house_run_layout0.5x.jpg

house_control_box_layout0.5x.jpg

This is as far as I have gotten so far. I'm currently building my dream layout in X lights first so I can choose the right controller or controllers for my setup. Once I'm done I will post the image of my dream setup and ask for suggestions of what controller board to buy.

Please if you have any suggestions for improvements on my current layout and wiring please comment.

Thank's

Back