Building the Ultimate Mega tree pole/ flag pole

focusedonsound

After this years trials and tribulations with my make shift Mega tree, I have decided I will be adding a permanent flag pole where my Mega tree will reside.

So this leads to my question I want to build the ultimate flag pole which will be "Mega tree" Ready.

I had planned to build this new flag pole approximately 20' tall a little under or over is fine.

My current construction list would be as follows. (AND YES this may be over kill)

1 - 12" x 48" concrete base.
2 - Pole 1 = 10' x 2" Galvanized steel pipe.
3 - 2" to 1 1/2" reducer
4 - Pole 2 = 10' x 1 1/2" Galvanized steel pipe.
5 - 1 1/2 to 1" galvanized reducer
6 - 5' x 1" Galvanized steep pipe.
6 - 2 pulleys
7 - cleat
8 - Rope - 7mm power rope capable of handling 2200lb working load.

This should give me a 21' Flag pole with 4' of the pole in the ground.

My reason for 2 pulleys rather than 1 is so I can raise and lower my lights more evenly as well as having more stability for ring which my lights will hang from.

My only thought at this point is the Tree topper, and how to easily get my Star to the top of the tree. At first thought I was thinking to maybe put a rope inside of the flag pole and run it up to a cap. I would then be able to some how pop the cap off with a long pole lower it down and replace the cap with my topper and raise it back into place with minimal effort from the ground.

I am also thinking that it would be great to be able to use this same pole for my Antenna maybe?

Lastly any other suggestions before I get started on this project would be much appreciated

Thanks,
-Nick

If I were designing this I would leave overlap between the poll sections. My paranoid design skills would want at least 25 - 50% Meaning a 10' pipe gets you 5-7 feet in height. Getting to less than a foot may lead to pipes bending unless you anchor each section.

I used 1-1/4" top rail fence pole.

6" diameter sonotube filled with cement buried 3 feet, first rail pole cut at 8 feet so the first 5 foot are above ground. second 10 foot pole sites on top the first for a 15foot height.
I add a 1-1/2" grey electrical conduit over it for display periods.. small 3 foot section with the pulleys and tree topper is added, 3 point guywires

center ring is raised lowered using the pulleys and a small rope.

has withstood hurricane force winds and has been in use for over 8 years now without issue.

I use a telescoping flag pole. it's 20' above ground. I only have 24 strings of lights on it and goes up and down easily. I've been doing this for 10 years now and had no issues with the flag pole at all. I took a 2x10 board and cut it to a 10" round piece for the top and stainless cup hooks to secure lights to the board. A hole drilled at the center of the 10" round allows for an eye bolt for whatever size thread your pole takes for a topper. Hoist it up a section at a time, works well for me..

I have a 25' telescopic flagpole and have been looking around for ideas and how others approached this. Keep us posted on how your project moves along!

So, lack of updates on this thread... I am moving forward with my 25' telescoping flag pole using a welded 16 hook tophat with a star on top.

I used small aircraft guy wires and zip tied a C9 LED every 6-7 inches. I plan to run on a renard 24.

I still have serious weight reservations with what I have made so far even though it is a higher end flagpole with thick gauge aluminum. I fear the weak points will be the pins that keep the sections vertical.

I seriously doubt it would hold a pixel setup... maybe after assembly later this week I will change my mind... time will tell.

I'll post some pictures and note my findings....

Currently have 24 incadescent mega strands (72 strands total) of red white and green lights. I also have a pixel Bethlehem star. I installed it back in May. We had some decent wind gusts. Right after I put the mega tree. And have had no issues. Lastly I did also add guide lines just as an added precaution. But with the pole being 4ft in the ground I don't think there will be an issue.

just want to post an update. We had some pretty high winds today 50mph gusts 20 mph sustained winds. I have this pole guide lined and had no problems.

just want to post an update. We had some pretty high winds today 50mph gusts 20 mph sustained winds. I have this pole guide lined and had no problems.

I think we're talking about the same storm front I just had here in WV. I also had not issues. I have enough weigh that I need a friend to help me lift that last section up into place. But some guyed into place, it held well.

I was sweating it out though. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So, lack of updates on this thread... I am moving forward with my 25' telescoping flag pole using a welded 16 hook tophat with a star on top.

I used small aircraft guy wires and zip tied a C9 LED every 6-7 inches. I plan to run on a renard 24.

I still have serious weight reservations with what I have made so far even though it is a higher end flagpole with thick gauge aluminum. I fear the weak points will be the pins that keep the sections vertical.

I seriously doubt it would hold a pixel setup... maybe after assembly later this week I will change my mind... time will tell.

I'll post some pictures and note my findings....
I use a similar setup. 20ft alum. telescoping pole. I started with 16 cables with red, green, blue mini's next year I added white, next year I added 8 140ct spiraled (others are 100ct). When I added the 8 spiral I had to have the wife help me lift it. So I don't think you have a weight problem for the pole. Your right the pins are not good, the first season the holes in mine almost doubled in size. I went to home depot and got rubber pipe couplers that use 2 worm clamps. I slit them to wrap around each pole section (trimmed to fit pole). So the rubber pipe couplers hold the pole up and I don't use the pins at all. Your going to be happy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have used my tele-pole for my AC mega tree, and now my ribbon tree. This is the first year I used guy wires, even though I've never had trouble with the wind. With all of the emt I just wanted some extra comfort factor.

As a side note, one of the first years I used it for the mega tree my hands were too cold when I tried to lower it and it slipped while retracting. Wasn't pretty. I called them up and explained what happened including that it was totally my fault, not the fault of the pole. They asked me to pay $50 towards round trip shipping and refurbished the pole and all of the plastic pieces. That was all it cost me and they had it back within a month.

Hi:
My megatree base is 3/4" pvc. Uses 16 sections with 22.5 degree elbows. 8 of those sections have Tees with a PVC stub about 8" long. I drive rebar stakes (available at RV stores or use big tent stakes) into the ground at each Tee/Stub and fasten with 1/4"-20 bolts. We sometimes have high winds here, but it has never "given up the ghost"! My center pole is a combination of electrical and aluminum conduit telescoped. There are 32 strings of doubled incandescents, making a total of 64 strands.

The base comes apart very easily for storage. Takes about 15 minutes to assemble it. I use screws at each elbow/coupler so it doesn't pull apart.

Another relatively low cost alternative for the center pole is aluminum irrigation pipe. If your area has a lot of agriculture, you may be able to pick some up cheaply.

I have used irrigation pipe for ham antennas and it should work well for a megatree pole. Some of the irrigation tubing comes in 20' sections.

Idun

Back