Bulbs Burnt Out Right Away

eagllvr

I need help figuring this one out as I am missing something. I have some strings of lights with burnt out bulbs, I know what voltage bulb it takes, ie 2.5v, to replace but when I do as soon as I put power to it it goes out right away. it also happens if I replace with a higher 3.5v bulb. Please what am I missing here.

I need help figuring this one out as I am missing something. I have some strings of lights with burnt out bulbs, I know what voltage bulb it takes, ie 2.5v, to replace but when I do as soon as I put power to it it goes out right away. it also happens if I replace with a higher 3.5v bulb. Please what am I missing here.

What type of string? Incandescent or LED?

Mark all the bad bulbs with a sharpie. Unplug the string, replace the bulbs, then plug it back in. As each bulb burns out the voltage goes up. So when enough bulbs go out the voltage is too high and burns out the bulb when you replace it.

Mark all the bad bulbs with a sharpie. Unplug the string, replace the bulbs, then plug it back in. As each bulb burns out the voltage goes up. So when enough bulbs go out the voltage is too high and burns out the bulb when you replace it.

That would be my guess as well.

For testing strings with many bulbs out causing the high voltage, you can use a light dimmer to reduce the power for testing until you have enough good bulbs to have proper voltage on the working bulbs.

Back