C9 single lights wont work

amayben

Hey guys. I have a display that has multiple lights that wont work. I have replaced the bulbs so it isn’t that, its just certain single sockets that wont light up. Not sure what to do. Every thing I see when I google is about fixing the small lights.

No I have not, but I have it plugged directly into he wall. It’s very random. The 1st 4 work, then the 5th one is out, but the rest of the line work. Then on the next string down the line 3 are out, but the next 10 work, then another one is out.

Pardon my ignorance, but I haven't worked with C9 incandescent, and don't want to assume. Do your strings have 2 or 3 wires running and what happens when you pull the bulb out of the 4th socket? Do they the rest go out? Just checking to see if your lights have a shunt light the mini lights I'm used to working on. The way you are describing it it sounds like the socket has a bad connection to the bulb.

I looks like there is 2 wires. I have the little tool for the mini lights that can find out burnt out mini light and it beeps at the lights that are on, but it does not beep at the ones that are out so maybe you are right that it could be a bad connection to the socket.

I have had sockets that were too tight and hit the edge of the bulb before the soldered bottom part of the bulb can make contact with the base wire. With the string unplugged I took a small dremel grinder and opened uo the plastic on the top. You could also add a little solder to the base contact of the bulb, just to see if that's your problem.

A standard C9 incan string should be 2 wire only.

Each light is usually a tightly snapped vampire fitting or sometimes a molded fitting. In either case, if these have been used outside before, check the terminals inside the socket. Sometime they get flattened or water gets in and they rust away. Sometimes you can bend the metal back into place.

All in all... if yours aren't mounted and glued to PVC light mine, skip trying to repair and go buy more. Mine are all wire tied and glued, so when I have a problem, I have to act like a surgeon to fix mine.

Also, buy lots of them when they are 75% off new years day.

Back