cable lenth

quefol

im wondering if anyone knows how far of cat5 cable i can go from the grinch to the ssr i want to place the controller indoors and run a cat5 to a relay outside i need about a 60ft run will that be ok

Couple Questions

1. Are you talking about from the Grinch to the SSR or Computer to Grinch (Sorry, I should have read your ?)

My longest run is about 75 feet and I never had problems. 60 ft is probably fairly common. Mine average 30 feet.

Last edited:
I read somewhere on the site that someone has done around 800' I feel this is a very long run and your signal levels may be getting close to levels that would cause things to stop working. I no this is just ttl level 0 and 5 volts at this point but the voltage drop may be an issue ( at 800' that is) at 60' you should be golden. I'm running 2 SSRez units on about 200' of cat5 off my REN64 with no issue.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The first year we did our display, I used 5 Grinch boards and about 8000 feet of cat 5. The longest run was over 350 feet and we never had a problem. I kept the Grinch controllers inside the garage and connected all of the SSR's at each house. That way I did not have to pay everyones power bill. Worked great. I ended up cutting a hole in the wall of the garage to route all of the wires thru.
At 70 feet, you will have no problems at all.

Hope that helps.

I've been told with the Ren C you should be able to place the Ren C, and Grinch in your yard (the Ren C Makes it a Renard Board)... and run the SSR's from that point. I plan on having my RenC's and 595 Boards a good distance from my computer and run the SSR's off of them. That way I only have to run one length of long Cat5 and shorter ones off of it.

well i was going to say factor in your environment ...if its cold voltage drop seems to increase....although looking by the person who had one of the longest runs lived in a colder climate i think you will be as what everyone else said "golden"

If it's less than 500 feet, I wouldn't worry about it. And if you're using RS485 from the PC to the Ren-C, I wouldn't worry if that distance was 500 feet either. If you're using RS232 from the PC to the Ren-C then you should probably try to keep that to 50 feet or less, although some folks (including myself) have been successful with RS232 and 100-feet length.

Back