Calling All Vixen 3 Users Sequence Sharing Thread

aaronross

Hey Guys,

I hope this finds everyone doing well and sequencing a bunch of new stuff during quarantine. I personally have taken the opportunity to buy and build new stuff for Xmas and Halloween this year.

With the new release this year on Vixen and the updates on 3.7. We have a great opportunity to share with the community like never before. We have folks that have been doing this for many years as well as folks taking their first dip into the world. As a vixen user and making the choice to use it, I always wished we had the sequences available to us the way Xlights does, but I think we have finally got to a point where we can actually be better, especially since it would be a peer to peer system. The new export feature has worked well for me and is down right awesome.

Anyway, I think it would be awesome to have a thread dedicated to sharing sequences and showing off what we have spent our time on. Now I know some may not be willing to take the time in sharing their many hours of labor for free, but I think it would be a great opportunity to learn new tricks, increase our catalogs and make our shows more robust. At the end of the day, we all do this to bring smiles to the faces of the folks in our neighborhoods that come see us year after year. I am always flattered to hear how much better this years show is than the last.

AI am hoping we can start a bit of momentum on this and hopefully the mods won't shoot this idea down.

Perhaps we can have some sort of central repository of sorts and get some assistance on doing that from the mods.

Let me know your thoughts, I will be making some videos of my sequences and loading them all here via google drive link. I know there is some time savings to be had by all if we can buy into the idea of sharing our brilliance with each other.

Here is a link to my exported halloween package as it sits today

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RBHy3LOujD3p89t-iMnX_MRZw6qapuSx?usp=sharing

Last edited:
I have been sharing my sequences for years, and will absolutely continue to do so. I haven't shared many using the new export/import feature, but am certainly willing to do so. I don't know that the forum is the place to house this as it would be easy to get lost. Perhaps a V3 FB page where we can share sequences as well as cool new ways to use an effect.

I like the idea of a facebook page, maybe we could gain more engagement there.

If you havent tried to export your sequences yet, the Vixen team made it about as easy as it could be. Super cool feature.

We are a smaller audience, but there are still a lot of Vixen users. I am sure there are some that have migrated to other solutions for the benefit of all the sequences that are commercially available. I certainly support any effort to share things that make it easier. Sequences, timing marks, lip-sync tracks, etc. The sequence import/export functions were added to help with that aspect and I am not sure how widely known it exists or how to share the many things in Vixen that can be shared.

I agree with Popo that we need to find an organized place to store those things. The forum is not a good place and I am not sure FB is either. A file share or formal way in Vixen similar to the Vendor / User contrib custom props would probably be better. I am open to options here. I have been adding user contributed Prop models into the Prop browser in Vixen and that should continue to work for that.

I also like the idea of a way we can collaborate and show off examples of how to do things or highlight many of the features in Vixen. There is a vast amount of tools in Vixen to sequence in a pretty efficient way. We need to evangelize more of that and I am sure more folks would have I never knew that moments. I have made several you tube videos and some of those have been in response to user questions. I am willing to make more on requested topics. I follow the two main forums red/green pretty closely so adding yet another place to follow spreads the information out and makes it harder to keep up with. We already have a FB page that does not get much traffic. I am open to Zoom type sessions where folks could have some live sessions to share or get answers. I would be willing to attend sessions like that to help from my perspective. I suspect some of the other Vixen team members would be willing to make appearances as well. We just need folks that would be willing to organize things like that because that is not something I am good at.

Jeff,

You and Jon are the most active developers that I have engaged with. I think you bring very good points to the table and am willing to support any way I can. I think we need to engage more people, the views on threads get plenty of attention, but not enough engagement. How many PM's do you get regularly? I really like the idea of a zoom Q&A and as prime time sequencing season for XMAS is upon us, I bet we could get some people to join. I know I have some questions about the capabilities of the new morph feature. Hell, I would be willing to pay for you guys to review a sequence or two of mine to improve it or help me achieve what I am wanting to do.

Do you think we can use the vixen website to upload sequences and somehow treat it as a repository?

I Think this is a good idea. I personally don't have much if anything to share, lol.
Many people who want to get into this hobby should have another choice for sequences. If you don't have the time, patience or money, your choices are limited. I support this idea and will do what I can but I promise, That An't Much!
I spent a lot of my time on Hardware and props this year and have already decided to get better with my sequencing and knowledge of this Great Software in the new year. The People who develop and maintain this deserve a lot of Support from us USERS to keep a good thing going, Whatever that form of support may look like. My 2 cents.

Not sure if I'd use it or not, but that deff sounds like a cool idea(as long as its not on FaceBook) .

I started using Vixen 3 back in 2017 (before then I was using my own software).
One thing I found out about Vixen that I truly disliked was if you'd made a profile (say at Halloween for example), then went & changed that for Christmas...then at some went back & tried to open one of the original sequences, it wouldn't work.
I did eventually figure out some sorta work-around using multiple profiles, and going off memory for what colors/channel-names I'd used in the original sequences to re-gain access to them.

---
(still using v3.3u2 myself. no plans to 'upgrade' since I can deal with the bugs in it)

This sounds like a great idea! Would love to see the community come together on this one. Zoom meetings sound fantastic as they would allow some feedback from the user base.

Can we get a link to the FB page setup permanently somewhere? Either on the main site page or the start page for Vixen. I just did a search on FB and it does not show up?

Thanks. Funny I typed the link in my phone exactly as it appears here and it sent me somewhere else. I searched on FB for v.lights.3 and finally got there. Just thinking if there was a permalink on the site we could get a lot more followers.

My sequences are pretty basic. I’m using a Renard TR16 to control my light strings. No RGB yet. Funny thing this thread pops up while I’m troubleshooting my Halloween sequence. All of my Christmas sequences worked last year but I moved to a new PC and I think I messed up my elements. Somehow I created elements last year that allowed me to control my strings using the pixel sequencing stuff like Waveform. My new sequence I built won’t work for all my channels.

Anybody know how to troubleshoot elements in Vixen to allow for this? Or is it something to do with the fseq export file?

I would like to find some sequences to start with. I got several from PoPo-b-trippin which tickled my thoughts to mold them to my show. The starting process is where I have problems with getting my mind to see the song and get the lights to match. Hardware no problems. I guess too much of a nerd.

Last edited:
I absolutely support this effort! Let me know what I can do. I had enquired about this last year, but never really got it going. I might be willing to put up for a little extra cloud storage to house some of it if that's a problem. As well, I was starting a light show/sequencing FB GROUP rather than a page that lends itself to this kind of thing better, and it's even named for our "patron saint": Light it up like Griswold https://www.facebook.com/groups/2464056680338157/ I would be happy to have that host or be focused on this effort, and give admin rights to the devs or those who need it. At the very least, it's a solution for the time being.

I would like to find some sequences to start with. I got several from PoPo-b-trippin which tickled my thoughts to mold them to my show. The starting process is where I have problems with getting my mind to see the song and get the lights to match. Hardware no problems. I guess too much of a nerd.

As goofy as it sounds, close your eyes and listen to the song multiple times. Instead of trying to picture the full sequence and all the moving parts, just listen. And think of specific sections or little parts where a certain effect or series of effects would look cool. Start with those. Example: I did a song from Frozen 2 for the kids called into the unknown. The end of the song in the movie, she shoots out her hands and a wave of frost expands out and leaves crystals. I'm listening to that thinking oh I could have it "explode" white on the last note then have it turn blue and i'll add some twinkle layer. Or it's as simple as perhaps thinking of how a specific prop would work to represent or emphasize an accent in the song. The point being, don't over focus on the entire thing and get paralyzed. Listen to it multiple times and let yourself think of individual cool moments. Imagine you were watching from the street. What would look really cool or make you say wow. Apply that to short sections or areas, and build from there. Layer it. At least, that usually works for me. Trying to come up with the whole thing before tinkering with passages always causes problems

WAIT! I have been searching for a FB group for Vixen Light users and found one - however, it is not used. If there is one (the previous link seemed to go no-where), I think we can engage w/ more users of Vixen. I have been using Vixen for 9 years, I have dabbled in xlights - but at this point.... too much to learn and too many sequences to start over. Easier to learn to ways to make the lights dance in Vixen.

My sequences are pretty basic. I’m using a Renard TR16 to control my light strings. No RGB yet. Funny thing this thread pops up while I’m troubleshooting my Halloween sequence. All of my Christmas sequences worked last year but I moved to a new PC and I think I messed up my elements. Somehow I created elements last year that allowed me to control my strings using the pixel sequencing stuff like Waveform. My new sequence I built won’t work for all my channels.

Anybody know how to troubleshoot elements in Vixen to allow for this? Or is it something to do with the fseq export file?

If you have access to your old PC, copy the entire "%userProfile%Documents\Vixen 3" folder to the new PC, it will have your entire setup from last year.

If you have access to your old PC, copy the entire "%userProfile%Documents\Vixen 3" folder to the new PC, it will have your entire setup from last year.

Thanks Ruppro. I actually deleted every element and started over. Now it at least appears to be working in the Vixen software. Now I need to find time to test all the channels.

We are in crunch time,

Anyone got any cool xmas sequences to share? I will be spending the next three weeks tweaking all of mine to incorporate the new props.PREVIEW XMAS2020.jpg

Back