Can a ESPixelStick w/SD card be used as a FPP Player?

TomL8345

I am setting up a small portable show with less than 680 pixels. I have an ESPixelStick w/SD card, can this be used as a standalone FPP Player or only as an FPP Remote?

That would be a cool feature for ESP32 builds. Put music and sequence files on the SD card, connect audio amp to a DAC pin (or use I2S) and configure for local FPP mode. I'd love to learn that kind of magic is (or will be) supported. This would be ideal for Christmas pixel light shows on my ebike.

- Thomas

I am setting up a small portable show with less than 680 pixels. I have an ESPixelStick w/SD card, can this be used as a standalone FPP Player or only as an FPP Remote?
ESP V4 can (today) self play a single fseq file or a list of fseq files + effects. No plans to add music out. Someone else can add that if you like.

You could always go with a Pi zero 2, USB sound card, and a Pi-Hat for a compact portable player with sound. With the PIs starting to become available it should be as hard to get ahold of one if you don't already have it. The Pi Zero 2 is about the same processing power as the full Pi 3 and I have run a standalone show for my 1000-pixel angel wings and 2x 2-P10 panels matrix with this setup (plus adding an experiencelights.com input extender for the big buttons.) A cheap USB sound controller is only a few bucks on ebay or amazon.
sWingTest.jpg

Last edited:
You could always go with a Pi zero 2, USB sound card, and a Pi-Hat for a compact portable player with sound. With the PIs starting to become available it should be as hard to get ahold of one if you don't already have it. The Pi Zero 2 is about the same processing power as the full Pi 3 and I have run a standalone show for my 1000-pixel angel wings and 2x 2-P10 panels matrix with this setup (plus adding an experienced lights input extender for the big buttons.) A cheap USB sound controller is only a few bucks on ebay or amazon.
View attachment 46726
Which is one of the many reasons why adding this to the ESP is not a good use of limited time. :)

Thanks for the feedback. Using a RPi was my originally planned solution, but put it on hold due to availability. And being more familiar with the ESP32, I wanted to ask if there was any chance that ESPixelStick could do it instead. When I revisit my bike parade lighting idea for next Xmas I'll know that a Pi is the guy for the job.

- Thomas

You could always go with a Pi zero 2, USB sound card, and a Pi-Hat for a compact portable player with sound. With the PIs starting to become available it should be as hard to get ahold of one if you don't already have it. The Pi Zero 2 is about the same processing power as the full Pi 3 and I have run a standalone show for my 1000-pixel angel wings and 2x 2-P10 panels matrix with this setup (plus adding an experiencelights.com input extender for the big buttons.) A cheap USB sound controller is only a few bucks on ebay or amazon.
View attachment 46726

I am currently running 10 RPI with capes currently. I have about 8 ESPixelSticks with SD card readers in them as well. I am probably going to switch out some of the Pi Zero W w/capes for the ESPixelSticks so I have a few more backup RPis. I am planning on running a small separate show for next year that will require a RPi w Cape.

I am currently running 10 RPI with capes currently. I have about 8 ESPixelSticks with SD card readers in them as well. I am probably going to switch out some of the Pi Zero W w/capes for the ESPixelSticks so I have a few more backup RPis. I am planning on running a small separate show for next year that will require a RPi w Cape.

The ESPixelSticks are great little controllers for single output needs. (<680 pixels) The problem is when you get into high density props with over 1000 pixels and want to maintain 40 fps, or in this case wanting to add standalone audio. I don't know of another way to get sound unless you want to go with a full Falcon F16 in standalone with an audio board upgrade or a us a Pi/BB with a hat. But your original question is yes you can run a small show off an ESPixelStick without sound.

The ESPixelSticks are great little controllers for single output needs. (<680 pixels) The problem is when you get into high density props with over 1000 pixels and want to maintain 40 fps, or in this case wanting to add standalone audio. I don't know of another way to get sound unless you want to go with a full Falcon F16 in standalone with an audio board upgrade or a us a Pi/BB with a hat. But your original question is yes you can run a small show off an ESPixelStick without sound.
The latest version of the ESPixelStick Software (V4) runs on the ESP32 platform. This has been ported to a variety of base cards that support up to 8 ports and greater than 3000 pixels. The QuinLed Quad is a good four port platform that is readily available. If you add the AE option then you get SD card support and significantly reduce WiFi load.

View attachment 46726

I used a pi zero with a usb sound card a couple years ago for a store front window display. I had less than 680 pixels running off a Pi pixel string controller. Do t remember who it was from now. It ran great. I used this sound card: Sabrent USB External Stereo Sound... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IRVQ0F8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share. Of course I had to use a usb-a to micro usb adapter as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back