Can't Upgrade, or, No OGG Vorbis support?, or, sticking with 3.7 for now

Shoopity

Setup:
Got a new computer, installed most recent version of Vixen.
I keep my profiles on my G: drive, which is a Google Drive. This makes it easy to work from multiple computers, and has worked for upgrading in the past if I didn't want to use the default install directory.

Initial Problem:
Some of my sequences don't load, but some do.
What I feel to be the pertinent log info:
Code:
[Vixen.IO.MigratingObjectLoaderService] Error when migrating file G:\.shortcut-targets-by-id\1WnOiteVvrFArsTMprYwoQr42zkzQcM6n\Personal\Vixen\Christmas\Sequence\Jingle_Bell_Rock.tim to the current version. System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
(As I said, some sequences load just fine)
Couldn't find any solutions (this is the closest, but it didn't help, I don't see any greyed out effects, but I might just be missing it)
Can still open the sequence in 3.7u4, so I decided to just Ctrl+a, Ctrl+c, and Ctrl+v in the 3.9 version, then save a new sequence.
Works for first sequence.

Second problem:
Go to associate audio.
Apparently OGG Vorbis is no longer a supported audio format‽‽ I didn't see anything in the bug tracker (searching for "ogg" or "vorbis" didn't result in anything).
I typed in "*.*" in the file name just to get the file to appear, but after selecting it, Vixen says "The selected file is not a supported type".
I even renamed the extension to MP3 just to see if it was a simple name check preventing from loading; it doesn't throw an error, but the audio doesn't show up.

Current solution:
Just stick with 3.7.
I'd like to upgrade, but unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem worth it (old sequences not migrating, don't want to currently take the time to convert my OGGs to MP3s).
Please tell me, am I missing something?
Just curious, why remove OGG support?

I would have to see a copy of the profile and the sequence that fails to load to better understand why it was unable to migrate it forward. 3.7 to 3.9 is a couple year jump, but we strive to ensure a high ability to migrate forward. If you would create a bug report at bugs.vixenlights.com and upload the profile we can see what is going on.

As far as Ogg support, we did not specifically remove the support. We updated to a newer audio library because the old one was no longer supported and was having issues. The new library actually supports more codecs than the old one did. It does appear that we overlooked adding the codec support for Ogg when the library was added. It primarily uses the Microsoft audio decoders and the Vorbis support requires an additional library. I'll add a bug ticket to add that support.

Do you think installing 8, opening the files, saving, then installing 9 might work?
I can still upload the stuff if you're just interested in seeing what's going on.

Last edited:
It is posible stepping forward through 8 might work. I would like to have the profile so I can understand what is going wrong and fix it if we need to.

OK, opened a bug report on that site. I also figured out the problem (which I put in the bug report, but I'll put here too just in the extremely rare case that others might have the same issue).
The problem is the broken OGG support. I opened a sequence in 3.8, reassociated the audio with an MP3 version, saved, upgraded to 3.9u4, and that sequence opened just fine.
Apparently I'm the only one who uses OGG??
So, I'll be sticking with 3.8 until OGG comes back.

Thanks for an awesome program, and the great support.

For what it's worth, you're the first person I've ever heard of actually using ogg vorbis. I've never run across an ogg file in real life. And I work in the Pro AV industry. That's not to say we won't add it. Jeff seems to think it's a fairly simple add. But it's certainly not a very common request.

Just curious, why not simply convert the file to mp3 or another common format that is supported so that you can move forward? I can't think of any benefits from keeping it in that format that would apply to a christmas show. Any benefits that format provides would be negated by FM transmission or outdoor speakers.

I wouldn't never convert to MP3, just not right now (3 weeks before Christmas). I've just always saved files as OGG if I can (ripping CDs, ripping from youtube, etc.); everything I've read says OGG is better quality AND smaller size (at comparable bit rates). Of course, at a high enough bit rate only the craziest of people would be able to tell the difference. But, just the principle of proprietary vs. open source is why I made OGG my main way of working. Also, converting a lossy OGG into a lossy MP3 isn't the best. But in all honesty, those are tiny/snobby things, as well as my FM transmitter being junk (there's a constant, quiet hum) so you definitely couldn't tell the difference, and if I needed to (let's say you all decided it's not worth it to add OGG), I would convert to MP3 and not complain one bit. It's not like I work in FLAC because I'm such a purist. It just caught me off guard when I updated. Heck, I wouldn't even suggest making a u5 just for OGG support; just put it in your next major release.

Back