Change in pixel dimensions

I thought I'd flag this, since it has just caught me out. I had some existing stock of 5V pixel strings which are a couple of years old. Recently I bought another set off aliexpress to finish off some props I was making. I've bought them from a few sources over the years, TBH normally from wherever's cheapest - however the product which has arrived has always seemed like it's out the same factory.

The new set I have are significantly larger (the plastic surround, not the pixel itself which is the same size. I needed to enlarge the holes in my props by about 1mm. Since I make these on a CNC it was doable, but this might be gotcha on some commercially made props. Also the material is different. The original out layer was a soft plastic (possibly silicone) with a blue tint. The new ones are much more rigid and don't soften up so well with a heat gun.

IMG_2012 2 copy.jpg

The wires between each pixel are also slightly shorter than they used to be (which is actually a good thing for me)

When I fire them up I'll update this if the colours look any different (since i have a mixture on one prop, I have 50 of the new plus 14 of the old style). My new props are 64 pixels each.

Do you know what the teeny pixels are called? i've got a prop that looks like it was designed to take M5's, I think. Drilling hundreds of holes to fit 12mm would be a nightmare, and not look good.

I haven't come across 'teeny' pixels, they would need to be a certain size to accommodate the WS2811 ICs in the body. 5mm is a standard RGB LEDs for sure for the 'through hole' type with legs, but would need additional circuity and need to waterproofed etc. All the ones I have need IRO 11-12mm, the LED bezels are 8mm

Back