confiusing

waites

Hi everyone:

can some one tell me where can i buy a helix kit. Also is this project kind of hard to build????
I am new on this and i would like to have a little help
Thanks for your help>>>>>

You will want to PM member gmbartlett to see if he has any boards available. I'm not sure the Helix is the best beginners kit but it can be done if you take your time and learn to solder and read the documentation. There are several components that make up the Helix "system". Read through the various threads in the Helix forum to get a better idea.

If your in the USA and planning on using 120V AC Lights. The Renard 24SS (or 16SS or 8SS) is a controller designed for beginners. Well documented easy to trouble shoot issues. But if you have electronics experience all the boards are O.K.

Brian

If your in the USA and planning on using 120V AC Lights. The Renard 24SS (or 16SS or 8SS) is a controller designed for beginners. Well documented easy to trouble shoot issues. But if you have electronics experience all the boards are O.K.

Brian

Yep - this would be your best bet for easing into things - there are thousands of SS controllers out there by now, the documentation is the best and since there were so many sold, you can get a helping hand pretty easy.

Note that there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Helix - didn't want to give that impression at all - it's pretty unique actually as it's one of a few that can run your show from the controller versus having a Computer hooked up to it to run the show. If you don't need that autonomous ability, then I would go with the SS but if you do need it, then the Helix is the way to go.

Brian/Brian,

Thank you for covering this for me. I've been very busy with work and family this week.

Waites,

I have all of the Helix PCBs available for purchase. However, I agree with what the guys said about the Renard. If you are wanting to get your feet wet in this hobby the Renard SS series is probably the way to go. The Helix isn't any more difficult to build than the Renards but it does have a lot more components. The only hard component to solder is the surface mount microSD card socket and I provide that presoldered on all of the Helix Main Boards. Also, if you truly mess up the build (which is hard to do) then you are only out $30-40 dollars, vs. a Helix Main Board that has about $100 in components. If you decide that you want to go the standalone option in the future then you won't lose any of your investment since the Helix can drive the Renard boards.

So if you still want to go with the Helix or you decide to in the future, it will be here. Just send an email to Orders at helixlightcontroller dot com and let me know how many of each board you are interested in and where (the ZIP code or country) they will be shipped to and I'll provide a detailed quote.

Welcome to the hobby,

Back