Controller channel count

Aurbo99

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is more of a pixel controllers versus props versus power question.

I have my display converted to pixels from incans over the years and I've encountered a few problems.
My props are spread out over the yard.
all ws2811 12vdc pixels

megatree has 32 channels and 2 e682 controllers handle that prop using 4 power supplies
arches have 8 channels and a single e682 controller handles those using 2 power supplies
etc
etc

Pixel poles have 7 channels and a single e682 controller, due to the distances between poles and pixel count per pole I use 2 power supplies to run them. If I add another prop to that controller I encounter problems with misfires and all white lockups.(I have already changed the SIP resistors to account for the long null lengths between controller and pole

Arches have to be split to 2 groups, e682 ports 1-1 to 1-4 and 3-1 to 3-4 to allow proper power to run them due to power consumption leaving 8 channels/ports on that e682 empty

Everything is wired, no wi-fi used.

My star uses a serial driven Px1 due to its isolated location but that requires a com port and I would like to change that to join the rest of my e1.31 universe.

most of my props are in the 5-8 channel count and using only half a controller seems wasteful.

using 2 e6804's to replace 1 e682 adds more data lines and control boxes to the yard and I dont have enough 6804's so before purchasing more I would like recommendations

I am adding more props in the 5-8 channel range this year which may only increase wasted channels per controller depending on location in the yard
Also several 1 channel props are being added (Px1 controlled) which adds to even more com ports and/or cat5 daisy chaining across the yard

Now to the questions;
What controllers are available out there that offer 4 to 8 channels?
What can be used to convert a serial Px1 to e1.31/sCan?
Suggestions to add/inject additional power supplies single power input controllers

Controllers for what? Pixels, AC lights, servos, or something else?
And what are your preferences (or constraints) on the interfaces back to home?
And, for that matter, are your preferences for data streaming or for data stored locally on the controllers?

all ws2811 12vdc pixels
sACN/e1.31
running from a desktop

Last edited:
Steve,

SanDevice has a 4-port controller in stock - https://sandevices.com/product/e6804-kit/

For the conversion of sCan/e1.31 I use a couple of different methods. I us the Renard Plus 4 Output Combo, which haven't been in stock for a while. For some reason, people don't like to build stuff from the board up anymore. I am glad to have gotten them when I did.

In the same realm, there may be people out there willing to give up old Renard plus WiFiBridges. But as the name implies, it is ESP-01 based. I have a few of these I toyed with, but I am like you, I prefer cable.

I am not a coding guy, but I am curious if it is possible to get a DMX firmware load for the the PX1? If so, then something like Pixel2DMX from Experience Lights would do the job.

Maybe the easiest thing to do is use an RS485 to Ethernet adapter. Granted, you will still need to attach a COM port from your computer to the "server" side, but then it plugs into you network so the distant end can come out some else in the network (need 2 availible IP addresses). I used the one in the hyperlink above for a couple of year before I got the RP 4 Output Combo. It works like a champ at 57.6k but I have not tried it at 115.2k, but still should work. I will warn you the instructions are pretty poor, but it can be figured out with a little thought.

I hope this helps,

-Tony

What about the PB16 and BBB16 family?
I finally got around to using my PB16 this year to drive a seed matrix (14X120) and a few spinners.
You can add expansion boards and differential receivers.
Scott has expanded that line so much over the past year or so.
If you need a bare board, I may have one or 2 left.

This k8 has 8 ports on board and 3 differential ports. The diff ports can run up to 300 feet away. All in for the rpi/controller board/3 receivers is about $250. Add a TA-200 enclosure. Add 3 long ethernet cables to get to where your props are and of course power supplies and props as well as USB network card to load up the sequences and then multi-sync with other fpp based controllers.

You could go to one of the controllers that just does differential output as well. Then get a bunch of 4 or 8 port receiver cards.

Or Kulp also offers this nice compact design for a 4 port controller:

What would your ideal controller look like, how much of your current investment are you're trying to re-use, and what sort of budget are you thinking of? I'm having difficulty envisioning what you're looking for, in particular the physical layout and the cabling involved.

I will create a layout diagram showing my current setup once I figure out how to upload images

Incidentally, I've found a file named 'renard-px1-dmx.asm' (which purports to receive DMX packets and send out ws2811 pixel streams) on one of my somewhat disorganized USB flash drives, although I don't know how much it's been tested.

It appears that I may have uploaded some version of that code in 2014, there are a couple of threads regarding that in the 'PIC Code' sub-forum back then.

The threads that I mentioned in the previous post are about DMX code for AC controllers, not for the PX1. I'll upload the px1-dmx code to the green forum later today, since the file library on this site is non-functional. If I can find a way to generate DMX frames from Vixen2 I'll try to do some testing first.

Incidentally, I've found a file named 'renard-px1-dmx.asm' (which purports to receive DMX packets and send out ws2811 pixel streams) on one of my somewhat disorganized USB flash drives, although I don't know how much it's been tested.
I wasn't sure Phil, but I also tried checking the Wiki...but saw it was still being worked on.

That was from 10 years ago, and much has happened between then and now.

I've found the file, but the difficulty that I'm encountering is that the file is written for a version of the Microchip assembler that I don't have a copy of, and I don't want to download something that old. I had to modify the .asm file for the different assembler syntax that MPLABX used, and that process is not yet done (thanks, Microchip, for making things more difficult). I plan to upload both versions, but I want to test things first. I will test using the MPLABX version of the assembly code, as that's pretty much a direct translation, and success there will give me confidence in the code for the older assembler.

The DMX bridge that I'm planning on using is an RPM 'USB to DMX Adaptor V1.02' from 2009, hopefully it has survived sitting in a box all of these years. Does anybody know if that is a good version?

After much annoyance I've managed to get that file modified to assemble under MPLABX (Microchip really doesn't want people to program in assembler) and to have a reasonable mapfile. However, I'm too exasperated by the process to do any testing today, so maybe in a day or two.

Just out of curiosity, is there any point in my continuing with this? I think the reason for letting the px1-dmx code go by the wayside a decade ago was the apparent lack of interest.

Up to you Phil
I just need a cat5 driven, single string controller for pixels.

If it's time to retire my PX1's and stash them with my other Rens then so be it.

Maybe there is a way to make a pixelstick run on cat5 instead of wifi

This is more of a pixel controllers versus props versus power question.

I have my display converted to pixels from incans over the years and I've encountered a few problems.
My props are spread out over the yard.

Now to the questions;
What controllers are available out there that offer 4 to 8 channels?
What can be used to convert a serial Px1 to e1.31/sCan?
Suggestions to add/inject additional power supplies single power input controllers
Hey, Steve!

Maybe the DIGWDF FiveStick is in your future??? (or the FourStick, or even the OneStick!!!)

The best way to describe what I am trying to do is a cat5 connected (PX1) sACN/e1.31 controller for a single string of ws2811 pixels, also the same style controller for 5-8 strings of pixels.

Something I can add to my wired network, configure the IP, Universe, channel start and end, pixel type,etc
like an ESP-PixelStick(or whatever its called) but without the wi-fi, just cat5 connected.

Back