Controller Indecision

Droidling

I have been putting off setting up an animated pixel display for years because I can never decide on the right controller. The issue is I don't understand how you used multiple controllers in a show. I get stuck wondering if the controller I buy today will be compatible with the one I want next year. Do I have one show player that sends out Pixel data to each individual controller or is there a player for each controller? If I get a controller that runs FPP, will that controller send data to other controllers that don't have a built in player. If I have multiple players how do they stay in sync?

I'm sure this question has been answered multiple times. I just can't seem to find that. Could someone point me to a video, web page , or forum thread that covers this?

Indecision is part of this hobby. Happens to everyone. But indecision always causes delays in getting started and one thing that's immutable is that Christmas always happens on December 25th and the blinky-flashy season always precedes it.

Today's controllers are plenty capable for working together, and most of them have multiple modes available. Given what they do, they're really not that expensive, either. And other than the ESPixelStick and its variants, there are really no good "cleap" pixel controllers, And really, so you get two, maybe three years of use from what you think is an expensive controller, it's still only pocket change per year to use it.

My advice is pull the trigger. They're all good. They all work well with Vixen3 or XLights as well as the Falcon player. Once you have it in hand and can play around with it for a little bit, you'll realize that Christmas really isn't far off and if you're going to have a show this year, you need to get going. Now.

It sounds like you need some clarification.

A show player can drive many controllers. Show players DO NOT synchronize between each other and a typical show has only ONE player.
Most Show players do not know one controller from another.
Players tend to look at network destinations and the protocols they support. Most common protocols today are Renard, E1.31, DDP and (proprietary) FPP

Note that Nowhere in that description did I mention a specific controller type. As long as your controller choice supports your output pixel choice and one of the mentioned input protocols then you are good to go.

FYI: My preferences are FPP and DDP

Indecision is part of this hobby. Happens to everyone. But indecision always causes delays in getting started and one thing that's immutable is that Christmas always happens on December 25th and the blinky-flashy season always precedes it.

Today's controllers are plenty capable for working together, and most of them have multiple modes available. Given what they do, they're really not that expensive, either. And other than the ESPixelStick and its variants, there are really no good "cleap" pixel controllers, And really, so you get two, maybe three years of use from what you think is an expensive controller, it's still only pocket change per year to use it.
I still have the basic question, do I have just one player running FPP, sending the Pixel data out to multiple controllers? Everything I look at seems to gloss over this like it just happens.
My advice is pull the trigger. They're all good. They all work well with Vixen3 or XLights as well as the Falcon player. Once you have it in hand and can play around with it for a little bit, you'll realize that Christmas really isn't far off and if you're going to have a show this year, you need to get going. Now.

The Experience Lights Long Range Pixel Controller and a couple 1 x 4 Output Long Range Pixel Genius Receivers are currently in my cart. If no one says that just won't work I'm giving it a shot.

It sounds like you need some clarification.

A show player can drive many controllers. Show players DO NOT synchronize between each other and a typical show has only ONE player.
Most Show players do not know one controller from another.
Players tend to look at network destinations and the protocols they support. Most common protocols today are Renard, E1.31, DDP and (proprietary) FPP

Note that Nowhere in that description did I mention a specific controller type. As long as your controller choice supports your output pixel choice and one of the mentioned input protocols then you are good to go.

FYI: My preferences are FPP and DDP

I may be confusing Falcon Player with FPP. You did say FPP is proprietary. The Genius controllers I'm currently enamored with support DDP, E1.31, ArtNet. Does Falcon Player software support them?'

The Experience Lights Long Range Pixel Controller and a couple 1 x 4 Output Long Range Pixel Genius Receivers are currently in my cart. If no one says that just won't work I'm giving it a shot.

As Dirknerkle said, indecision can be a major problem in getting going in this hobby. Happened to me as well. Both Martin and Dirknerkle have given you solid advice. Have you ever read the AusChristmas Lighting 101 manual? I, along with many others have found it found it quite helpful when we were getting started. And it might help you with a clearer description of the words that you are using and how they relate to what you are trying to figure out. Here is the link:https://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

I'm not sure what's going on here. I'm new (or at least inactive) so a moderator may be reviewing my replies. I decided to reply to the post instead of quoting to see if that gets through. I ordered a Genius long range board and receiver to try out. I also found a Falcon Player manual by Rick Harris that helped a bit. If my previous posts never get through, thank you for the replies.

HockeyHunter1956; I haven't read AusChristmas Lighting 101. I had heard it was good. I just get a bit overwhelmed trying to read through an all encompassing everything you need to know about Christmas lighting manual. I'll treat it as a reference and see how it goes.

Dirknerkle's comment "pull the trigger" is probably the best thing anyone could have said. Incapacitating procrastination is the biggest enemy.

Last edited:
I'm still using many of the LOR controllers I bought 15+ years ago, and also the Sandevices controllers I bought in 2012 when I started using pixels as well. If your controller supports E1.31, ART-NET, or DMX, it's going to be compatible with everything for the foreseeable future. DonI've 't let analysis paralysis cripple you.

I had an old friend contact me for a pixel controller recommendation last month... funny thing is I really don't keep up on that anymore. My old Sandevices still blink the lights, and my newer Falcons do as well. I don't use FPP so the newer Pi-based options don't entice me, and Falcon seems to be where I'd buy if I needed something today, but there are other good choices too.

I'm not sure what's going on here. I'm new (or at least inactive) so a moderator may be reviewing my replies.

Some posts/threads are automatically sent to moderation, but I don't know what triggers that. In any case, there seem to be only two active or semi-active moderators (plus Brian), and apparently the list of posts awaiting moderator approval isn't always viewed on a consistent basis.

Back