Coro source/alternatives (specifically in the UK, but all opinions welcome :) )

PeteMatthews

I'm trying to put some props together, but coro here in the UK seems pretty expensive compared to some other markets - It's mostly branded Correx here... I've got a local print shop that'll sell me 8x4 sheets of 4mm for £12 (~$16) each, but I can't find 10mm for less than £40 a sheet (~$55), and that's only in packs of 5 sheets (and I'm not sure I really want that much :) ) I'm currently considering building with 4mm and supplementing with wooden frames on the back if I need to - Is that a reasonable idea?

So - Anyone got any better sources?

Alternatively, are there other materials that would be suitable substitute? Considered plywood, etc, but I'm concerned I may not waterproof it hard enough - Is it difficult to do effectively?

Thanks for reading this far - I'm attempting to get started here, and wishing I had easy access to Boscoyo shipping ;)

Found a local sign company that use corex in the UK, they are keeping off cuts for me. Offcuts to them are big sheets to me, 3’ square is not an offcut normally. They have 4mm mostly so I was wondering if anyone has laminated it before?

I've had pretty good luck using waterproof concrete sealant painted onto both sides of cardboard. Water beads and runs right off it as long as the open ends are covered. I used to pick up large cardboard boxes from home improvement centers for nothing -- they just recycle them otherwise. Ask for boxes that the floor samples of the large refrigerators came in. Pick up a gallon of acrylic-based clear sealant and you'd be amazed how well it can work.

sealer.jpg

I'm trying to put some props together, but coro here in the UK seems pretty expensive compared to some other markets - It's mostly branded Correx here... I've got a local print shop that'll sell me 8x4 sheets of 4mm for £12 (~$16) each, but I can't find 10mm for less than £40 a sheet (~$55), and that's only in packs of 5 sheets (and I'm not sure I really want that much :) ) I'm currently considering building with 4mm and supplementing with wooden frames on the back if I need to - Is that a reasonable idea?

So - Anyone got any better sources?

Alternatively, are there other materials that would be suitable substitute? Considered plywood, etc, but I'm concerned I may not waterproof it hard enough - Is it difficult to do effectively?

Thanks for reading this far - I'm attempting to get started here, and wishing I had easy access to Boscoyo shipping ;)

I paid about $20 for a 4x8 sheet of 4mm here in the states, so you are doing better there, like you the 10mm come in 5 packs for about $174 so a bit cheaper there

I used 4mm to create 5 1/2' tall Singing Christmas Tree and an almost 7' Singing Snowman (both 4' wide), used wood framing and they have held up for 2 years, in the elements year round, as I don't have anyplace big enough to store them "inside" so I have them covered by plastic sheeting under an awning of my shed. I do live in the south so it gets quite warm here and the 1st year after building them and I was testing they were out in the sun during the heat of the day and they picked up a bit of a bow, but you can't tell it from the street and does not affect the lights.

Back