Corro plastic questions

byrnet13

Hello,
So I was looking at cutting out my own corroplastic decorations.
Questions:
1) 4mm or 10mm...locally I can only get 4mm including from home Depot.
2) cut plastic close to the size of the design? Or leave it a square.
2b) If you cut a square do you reenforce with a frame?

Bonus question for 2 points:
What gauge wire used to splice in when you have to reach to another hole on the panel? 5v pixel strings I'll be using, too bad the don't sell a bulk roll for the strands you buy.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Thanks

Hello,
So I was looking at cutting out my own corroplastic decorations.
Questions:
1) 4mm or 10mm...locally I can only get 4mm including from home Depot. 4mm is fine for most applications, have you tried a local Sign Shop for both the 4mm and 10mm sheets
2) cut plastic close to the size of the design? Or leave it a square. I usually cut mine close to the size of the design, but sometimes I leave it square. It depends on how I am mounting it.
2b) If you cut a square do you reenforce with a frame? With 4mm a frame is a good idea. I will use 1/2" PVC pipe

What gauge wire used to splice in when you have to reach to another hole on the panel? 5v pixel strings I'll be using, too bad the don't sell a bulk roll for the strands you buy.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Thanks

See responses in RED above

I just made my first custom character. I found that the Plas-tex from Home Depot worked well. The only thing I would do differently is to get an actual 12mm bit. I used a 3/8 inch spade bit, which worked well, but the slightly small size of the hole made pushing in the pixels rather painful.

I plan to leave it square-ish for a frame, but primarily because I don't think I would cut a very good outline of my character...

See responses in RED above

Thanks,
Local sign shops use 4mm, they told me 10mm was special jobs. Maybe if I called some in a bigger city...but I might just go with 4mm for now. Home Depot has it under $25.00 for a full sheet.
Thanks,
Tim

I just made my first custom character. I found that the Plas-tex from Home Depot worked well. The only thing I would do differently is to get an actual 12mm bit. I used a 3/8 inch spade bit, which worked well, but the slightly small size of the hole made pushing in the pixels rather painful.

I plan to leave it square-ish for a frame, but primarily because I don't think I would cut a very good outline of my character...

I looked around for a 12mm bit or a set and didn't find any locally. I was surprised Harbor freight didn't have a set.
I may check Amazon.
Thanks
Tim

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Thanks

Tim, Sorry I skipped the bonus question.

I use 18 AWG wires to splice between pixels to add length. That is the size most of my pixels CLAIM to use when I purchase them.

HTH

I did quite a bit of search for something in the 10mm range but no luck at HD, Lowes and other local stores. I think I also checked McMaster, etc. Not much online without expensive shipping. I came to the conclusion that either just go with something like 4mm, clue two 4mm together or use 4mm with some support. I still have to build a coro prop but I just wanted to share my experience so far.

I know this post is a little old, but I thought I would chime in.

If I go to the Home Depot website, and search for Coroplast, I get several options online that are not available in stores. I have ordered 4mm Coro in both black and white, and 10mm Coro in white.

The 10mm Coro comes in packs of three for $176.00, and the white 4mm Coro comes in packs of ten for $155.51. The black Coro is a little more at $210.60 for a pack of ten.

You can have it shipped to the store, so that shipping is free. It takes about a week to get it.

These are actually very good prices. For example, the 4mm white Coro is $29.98 if you buy a single sheet, so you can get a ten pack for what five individual sheets would cost you. I live in the Metro Atlanta area, and I checked around with numerous suppliers trying to buy in bulk, and none of them could match the price I got at Home Depot.

I have a big 5x10 CNC machine, and I make all of my own Coro props now.

I used an old soldering iron, pushed the shaft into Coro for my holes worked great. check hole sizes on strap piece. if you leave the tip on it helps centering.

Back