CTB16PCG3 and Vixen

Hey Everyone!

I'm new here and was hoping you all can help me. I bought a huge amount of stuff from someone who was getting out of decorating with lights. I received several different types of controllers, including a LOR CTB16PCG3 and a USB485B adapter.

I have been using Vixen for several years to control various pixels and controllers, and would like to continue using the software. How can I physically set up the LOR controller and get it set up on my computer? I tried connecting Computer -> USB cable -> USB adapter -> Cat5 cable (Normal, not crossover) -> CTB16PC. But when I tried to use the Light-O-Rama 5.5.16 Demo Hardware application to set it up, the controller wasn't even recognized. (I installed all the drivers, went into device manager to see the COM number, and put that in to the application). Still I don't see anything.

I have seen some people say I need to use a crossover cable, and I tried that, and still nothing worked. So I have two main questions:

a) How do I get the computer to even recognize the controller?

b) How do I get Vixen to connect to the controller? (I've heard I could use DMX, but don't really know how to do that: would I need a DMX adapter?)

Thanks everyone!

If the LOR Hardware Utility won't see the controller when connected to the USB485B with a standard Cat5 cable then it is possible that the USB485B is dead or the controller is dead. I had a USB485 die on me several years ago so I switched to having my E682 in 2-wire mode and I'm controlling the CTB16PCG3 that way. This year my CTB16PCG3 is not working after 6 years of use and I'm struggling to figure it out too :( Since my CMB24D is also not working I'm thinking the problem is with the E682.

When you power on the CTB16PCG3 there is a status LED that should be flashing if powered on and steady if receiving a signal. (Be careful, when powered on the connections are live with 120V, don't touch anything inside when powered on, just look for the LED).

The G3 version of the manual is at http://www1.lightorama.com/Documents/CTB16PCg3_UserMan_Web.pdf if that helps.

Back