Dc power question

minellix

Is it possible to switch 120 volts ac to 12 volts dc yet raise the amperage from 15 amps to say 23 amps safely ???
If so how would it be done ??? or would it be safer to work channel to channel for the higher amperage ??
Thanks

In addition to what Angus added, and to read into your question(possibly making a wrong assumption here), I think you might be confused about amperage. Drawing say, 15 amps from a dc power supply doesn't draw 15 amps from the AC line. To do the calculation, you can't just use the amps, you have to convert the dc amps to power, then calculate the ac amps from power draw.

In addition to what Angus added, and to read into your question(possibly making a wrong assumption here), I think you might be confused about amperage. Drawing say, 15 amps from a dc power supply doesn't draw 15 amps from the AC line. To do the calculation, you can't just use the amps, you have to convert the dc amps to power, then calculate the ac amps from power draw.
That is assuming he meant converting AC to DC using a PSU. But if he wants to dim at the AC level and have the DC do something intelligent then that is a different question. Hence my request for a better explanation of what the OP is trying to accomplish. If the OP is trying to take variable AC to Variable DC then I agree with Angus --->X

That is assuming he meant converting AC to DC using a PSU. But if he wants to dim at the AC level and have the DC do something intelligent then that is a different question. Hence my request for a better explanation of what the OP is trying to accomplish. If the OP is trying to take variable AC to Variable DC then I agree with Angus --->X

Good point.

Back