Debugging Config Issue with HinksPix PRO Long Range setup

Wacamoe

(I also have a thread open with HolidayCoro for Support but figure I'd try here as well)

Seeing videos around that xLights isn't/wasn't ready for HinksPix controllers (thought things kind of worked automagically using xLights Upload) I haven't gotten the Smart Receivers to work.

I setup a very basic setup using the onboard config utilities (attached a PDF of the printout) which sets up each of my two LR Receivers to a single cable each. However, when I try and test the Long Range ports, nothing happens. I know the pixels work because when I test from the receiver boards, I can cycle through the colors on the strings no problem. However, for the life of me, I cannot get the "Test Outputs" feature to work for the long range. Anyone see anything wrong, or have advice here?

(I also attached the status page showing the firmware on the controller)

Attachments

• 20220802_Design.pdf
    309.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220802_status.pdf
    146.4 KB · Views: 8
I have just been doing the same thing. Here’s what I found:
1) after using the design tab and saving to the SD card, I had to load the configuration under the misc settings tab. Then, I had to do a controller reset. For good measure, you may also want to try a power cycle on both the controller and long range cards after setting the DIP switches.
2) uploading the configuration from xLights after using the visualizer has been easier. However, It seemed like following the upload that the controller was going through a reset cycle. This may be what’s going on, but I still have to perform a reset from the Hinkspix webpage before the xLights loaded configuration will work.

Last edited:
I have just been doing the same thing. Here’s what I found:
1) after using the design tab and saving to the SD card, I had to load the configuration under the misc settings tab. Then, I had to do a controller reset. For good measure, you may also want to try a power cycle on both the controller and long range cards after setting the DIP switches.
2) uploading the configuration for xLights after using the visualizer has been easier. However, It seemed like following the upload that the controller was going through a reset cycle. This may be what’s going on, but I still have to perform a reset from the Hinkspix webpage before the xLights loaded configuration will work.

Thanks @Zacf16 - I had done what you suggested in #1 multiple time without anything working. I did upload through xLights before and all the local SPI ports work fine. Starting to fear that I have a fault LR board that could be the problem. Still troubleshooting with HC support as well, so we'll see.

Update - HolidayCoro mentioned that a little LED should be lighting up above the ports where the pigtails are wired into the receiver - that isn't turning on at all. I switched the ethernet cables around and still nothing. Attaching the updated port configs PDFs in case someone is seeing something I am not getting. Have a support call with HC tomorrow to see if that helps. Maybe JoeHinkle himself will hear my plea for help!

Attachments

• 20220802_Design_T2.pdf
    326 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220802_E131_T2.pdf
    259.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220802_PortConfig_T2.pdf
    205.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220803_LEDLightsExample.jpg
    20220803_LEDLightsExample.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 5
Sure - attached and showing various cables. Had to swap cables to troubleshoot cables issues, but I feel they are all working properly. (Had to reduce quality to meet the threshold for upload)

Attachments

• IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0336.jpg
    IMG_0336.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0337.jpg
    IMG_0337.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
whoops - noticed a cable mismatch while I was troubleshooting primary board vs secondary board switching. re-uploaded after switching the cables around (re tested with same result)

Attachments

• IMG_0339.jpg
    IMG_0339.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 14
For anyone that might be following along - HolidayCoro informed me that there was an issue in the firmware version I was using (The latest at the time - caused a bug in the receivers not receiving updated programming from the controller). They issued a firmware update that automatically downloaded through the controller (assuming you are connected to the internet and haven't bypassed the auto-check). Once that was downloaded and installed, the show started working as expected.

WHEW - now I can start xLights layout work!

Thanks!

Thanks for following up. I'm having the same issue and it's driving me mad. Lights test fine from the smart receivers. They don't work when testing output from controller or xlights. Requested firmware update. Really don't have 48 hours to wait for a response. It will be christmas morning before I get this working.

Back