Decrease Number of Power Supplies

LOL xGROMx 7 of our power supply's are not server but computer ATX power supplies! Reason we use the ATX is the protection they offer is amazing! If there is a short even a pixel shorts out the PS will not turn on, and if you over draw on them they will shut down. Our mega tree last year had shut down due to to much current draw, it was the first time that had happened and it was a pure programming issue IE our fault but regardless it protected our tree from other issues that could have came from that simple error. We run all 5 volt lights now because of that also one of the strings last year had a shorted pixel and the PS wouldn't turn on. I replaced the PS three times before putting the ohm meter on the strip, but we feel that might have saved us from a mishap as the light that had shorted was on our structure. Anything attached to the house is ran off an ATX power supply for that reason now! We also have been purchasing 7-40v DC to 5v DC 350 watt converters so that we might be able to use something like the HP1200 or go even 36 volt out in the yard for the yard props. We like having the power supplies on the props as of now because of the safty, all the AC in the yard is on GFCI's.

Same reasoning I use the HP Supplies, a lot of protection and a lot of 12v wattage. The up side is most of the supplies you can find are swapped out on a scheduled and pretty cheap if you look around. I use the Parallel Miner breakout board but would love one of the Lighting suppliers to restock theirs, better connections for what we do.

The only thing I would add is to test the pixels you plan to use in the lengths you plan to use, and see how much they draw. Per pixel may be off by the time you get 50, 100 or 300 down the line. The math is a starting point for me but I run most of my 6k pixels at 30 to 20 percent brightness. They are all 12v and I only use 3 server power supplies. Two 750w and one 1200w. The 1200w and one 750w on one breaker and the other 750w on another breaker (20amp each).I have a prop with 375 pixels leading to a 135 pixel prop leading to a 51 pixel prop off one 5 Amp fuse and it will run with power only at the beginning of the run. I do injection between the 375 and 135 but it will run without it. Test, test and test. You might be surprised šŸ˜®.

Back