different pixels not working together

nellyth1th

first of all first time poster long time looker lol

so I'm adding pixels to my house and i have a situation where i have old lights (ws2811 with red white blue wires) on the same data line with new ones ( ws2811 with red green and white wire) and the new will not work when down stream from the old ones? as soon as i put the new ones up stream from the old ones everything works fine and i cant tell the difference of color in the led. mind you I'm new at this and i bet you seasoned vets would be able to tell the difference, as for my armature "show" they will work fine.

I'm using a diquno for the controller for the window frames on my house and that's where i found this issue.

have any of you ran into this? if so what did you do to fix. or is ordering enough pixels to do you prop plus some is common practice for just this reason and my cheep newbie mind set needs to be flung out the window.

is there a fix for this?

what causes this? from my research in my fit of rage that i found is that there isn't strict standards for these lights and the boards and chips vary from manufacture to manufacture and that there are even different versions of ws2811 protocol. so much data out there just wanted to see if any of you have gone down this rabbit hole and had any Easter eggs to share.

thank you for your time.

R/

I suspect MikeKrebs has hit the nail on the head.
You can make sure that the order is as you found that works, or you can use separate outputs from the controller - if the controller can separate the output timing (several do).

Are the old ones really old (5ish years)? Then the timing is most likely off. Does the diquno have a setting for the timing? You might want to increase that number to around 280uS.

the old lights are maybe year or so old. also side note the new lights data flows different that the older boards. where the " older" lights with the red white blue wiring the data flows normally, incoming data goes to the chip that has the big arrow on it and the new lights that have the red green white wiring the incoming data goes to the side opposite of the arrow. but as long as the the new pixels are before the older ones they work just fine. there is only one location where i have this issue and is an easy fix on flip flopping my window wraps no big deal but glad i cough it before putting them on the wall. but i was wondering the reasoning behind this happening.

i will have to check on the diguno and the timing but its running WLED I will have to go down the YouTube hole and find out lol. thank you for the reply gents and ill have some time this week to play around and try to get back to you on it

R/

jason

Last edited:
Is there something wrong with this thread? I can't find post #1 and it continually shows up in my new posts.

Same here, shows up in new posts list even when nothing new has been added.

- Thomas

Back