Dimming?

Not by itself. The Renard-595 converter board should work just well with a 64-channel Grinch as with the 64-channel coop board.

--

Phil

I figured there would have to be some kind of interface between the grinch and ssr or pc and grinch. Would i still be able to use Vixen to control everything?

No. It is under development now. When it works, though, it will work under vixen.

Additionally, I haven't checked the setup and hold times on the chips on the grinch board, so my statement that it should work is just a first impression.

--

Phil

Is there a thread started yet for the REN-c. Can u give me a parts list to make one and do some testing?

Just to make things explicit...

1) This design is under development as we write. It will be several weeks to a month (best case) before it could possible be ready to start a coop order. Neither the PCB nor the firmware is done at the moment, and so nobody (other than myself) has done any testing.

2) If you wish to be involved in early (Beta) testing, you should make that known. As far as I know nobody has discussed Beta testing yet, so the dates and other circumstances of the test are not known yet.

3) Christmas is only six months (less one day) away. All of these things take time. Especially if this is your first time.

--

Phil

I would absolutely want to help beta test. I have 5 grinch boards and 1 595 all 384 channels up and running ready for christmas. It's driving my wife crazy, she had me get approval from the neighbors around me before I got started. I keep telling her wait till u see it. I even got the neighbor across the street hooked. we're going to try a network setup to sequence both houses.

Do you have a PIC programmer? That is pretty much required to take part in any Beta program.

You are also going to need some way of generating the zero-crossing that is not included on the converter itself (something like the transformer board that Wayne is working on).

--

Phil

P. Short said:
Do you have a PIC programmer?
No but I'm sure I can acquire one.

You are also going to need some way of generating the zero-crossing that is not included on the converter itself (something like the transformer board that Wayne is working on.)

Point me in the right direction and I'm there.

Where are you located?

Central Florida

With the REN-C one board controls one Grinch/595 for 64 channels. Is it possible to for one REN-C to control all the boards (384 channels)?

The Ren-C is designed to control exactly 64 channels, no more and no less.

That said, there is a higher-performance PIC with more memory that is pin-compatible with the PIC used in Ren-C (although I'm not sure that they have the CCP module that is necessary). This would allow the number of channels to be increased (to 128), but would require re-coding the firmware.

If you want to control more than 64 channels, I would recommend using more than one Ren-C. Also, if you are new to computer-controlled animation of the Christmas displays, I would recommend that you limit yourself to 64 channels for the first year.

--

Phil

Back