DIY or Ready-To-Run

Ok guys need some help again. I decided not to buy the HC stuff. I just did a pixel presale order from Wally's Lights and bought a couple Kulp K32A-B's. I'm just going to build my own tree from scratch. I'm really torn on what pixel spacing to do for my tree. I want to use 100 pixels tall regardless of the spacing. My first plan was to use 1" spacing for a tree that is a little less than 10' tall. But the more I think about it, I feel like that's way overkill and just too dense and a waste of pixels for my first year. If I jump to 1.5" spacing, that puts the tree at around 13 feet. That's about the limit of how high I want to go for the first year because I just don't want to deal with a massive megatree my first year and I also don't want it to go above the roof too much and block other stuff. Any input would be appreciated. For reference here is a Google Earth image of my house. I threw a little sketch on there to show where I want to put the tree. It's about 30 feet from the road, maybe closer depending on it's final position.

View attachment 44224

What voltage are the pixels you ordered? Judging from the distance you have, every inch may be too dense. You could use every other hole in the strips and at 13'-14', you should end up with 50 pixels on each strip. With a star on top you're probably at about 15'. That's manageable for one person but I won't say it's super easy. With more density you get a heavier tree so keep that in mind. You can use a fence top rail at that height but I would recommend bracing it with guy lines, even if you put it in the ground.

What voltage are the pixels you ordered? Judging from the distance you have, every inch may be too dense. You could use every other hole in the strips and at 13'-14', you should end up with 50 pixels on each strip. With a star on top you're probably at about 15'. That's manageable for one person but I won't say it's super easy. With more density you get a heavier tree so keep that in mind. You can use a fence top rail at that height but I would recommend bracing it with guy lines, even if you put it in the ground.

12v. How are you getting 13-14' using every other hole with 50 pixels? Wouldn't that be at 2" spacing? That would put each strip at a little over 8'.

Yeah I figured 1" was probably overkill. Based on the megatree calculator if I do 1.5" I'll be around a height of 13' give or take. If I did this though I think I'd have to order custom mounting strips because I don't think 1.5" is standard spacing that is supplied by any vendors. I think HC is the only vendor that produces custom spacing strips.

megatree.jpg

Back