DIY Plus??

Wayne J

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had the idea of our own Plus (although I think it has been discussed before). It would be great to get all of the DIY community together in one place. I think try to do it next year would be possible. This gives everyone time to plan and make arrangements to attend. A central location would be key as time frame. The summertime would be good as children are out of school and everyone is not 'real' involved with building their displays.
How about it? Possible? Ideas, suggestions? Would you attend?

8)

How about Phillip Island, Australia? :D

I will be in the states over the new year, from the 28th of Jan to the 11th.
mainly LA and Las Vegas.

Count me in. I say between the end of June and the end of July. That way kids are out of school, and it is not to hot.

If we want to do it, I will help with the planning.

Lou

Macrosill said:
A Cruise ship somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic might be as central as we can get! :lol:

3000 comedians are unemployed and your trying to be one. :roll:

:lol:

I don't know about the rest of you but I think the Australia idea is a true winner! Besides, isn't it Winter there in our summer months? It would seem a little Christmas-sy, and Dawn has always wante...wait, shhhh! are the girls invited???
j

PS I just now really read Wayne's first post. Who here "isn't really involved" in their display right now? I've got decorations everywhere, controllers, DIO boards, 595s, computers, Cat5, #12 an #14 THHN, PVC pipe and fittings, minis in four colors and multi, and wireframes all over the place. The Gremler minis are in the back yard to try a couple sequences. The big controller cases are disassembled and I have heat sinks, heat shrink, solder and SSRs everywhere. There's a pile of LEDs to be installed in the Lexan sheet with 700+ little LEDTriks holes in it... That's it, I'm too tired to type anymore, I'm going to bed...

I don't know. Sounds like fun, but could we really convince our spouses/parents? Australia is a little extravegent. I could probably go anywhere within say a day's drive of Eastern Iowa (Davenport), but I'm already planning on going to KansasFest in July.

I think we should start moving on this if there is interest. Like I said before, I would assist in any planning.

Would we do it at someone's house or need to get a place because we may have travelers that want to stay the night. I would even be willing to contact venders to see if they would be interested in sending demo items for us.

In any event, I think this would be a great idea and I will do whatever is needed.

Lou

Brian....????
Are you there Brian...????
I've always wanted to see LINY...!!!!
Brian...????
Not twisting yer arm or anything.... :lol:
J

I think Kansas is central for the US guys and anything is not central for the others. Although I have never been to Mexico??? Aruba is nice BJ and I like it there alot??? Or we could cut it in the middle and all go to England. I always have meant to fly to Alaska??? I can fly to the outer bahamas in about an hour and a half in the plane??? Have you guys been to Key west yet??? thats 50 minutes away by air for me. Better yet walt disney is only 50 minute drive (they have a runway but won't let you land there) from here lets just do it here and I won't have to go anywhere. LOL

lbro said:
I think we should start moving on this if there is interest. Like I said before, I would assist in any planning.

Would we do it at someone's house or need to get a place because we may have travelers that want to stay the night. I would even be willing to contact venders to see if they would be interested in sending demo items for us.

In any event, I think this would be a great idea and I will do whatever is needed.

Lou
If you are into Camping then I think the location should be North Pole , NY!
Kids will like Santa's Workshop!
Ok, its very out of the way, but they may have passenger rail access soon!

Its a dream idea actually. It is far from realistic though (unless Lake Placid gets a major airport)

Tony M.

Jeff, I am here. With the extension going on I have little time to do anything else. I would be happy to have a mini in the early spring on '08!

Any takers?

St. Louis is central US, and they seem to have a pretty good airport.

non-stop flights to St. Louis:

Destination, Airline

Albuquerque, NM Southwest
Atlanta, GA AirTran, American Delta
Austin, TX American
Baltimore, MD American, Southwest
Birmingham, AL Southwest
Boston, MA American
Burlington, IA Great Lakes
Cancun, Mexico Frontier
Cedar Rapids, IA American
Charlotte, NC American, US Airways
Chicago, IL (Midway) Southwest
Chicago, IL (O'Hare) American, United
Cincinnati, OH Delta
Cleveland, OH Continental, Southwest
Columbus, OH American, Southwest
Dallas, TX (DFW Int'l) American
Dallas, TX (Love Field) Southwest
Dayton, OH American
Decatur, IL Great Lakes
Denver, CO American, Frontier, United
Des Moines, IA American
Detroit, MI Northwest, Southwest
Ft. Lauderdale, FL American, Southwest
Ft. Leonard Wood, MO Great Lakes
Ft. Myers, FL American, USA 3000
Hartford, CT American
Houston, TX (Hobby) Southwest
Houston, TX (Intercontinental) Continental
Indianapolis, IN American
Jacksonville, FL American
Kansas City, MO Southwest
Las Vegas, NV American, Southwest
Litle Rock, AR Southwest
Los Angeles, CA American, Southwest
Louisville, KY Southwest
Madison, WI American
Marion, IL Great Lakes
Memphis, TN American, Northwest
Miami, FL American
Milwaukee, WI American, Midwest Connect
Minneapolis, MN American, Northwest
Nashville, TN American
New Orleans, LA American
New York, NY (JFK) American, Delta
New York, NY (LaGuardia) American
Newark, NJ American, Continental
Norfolk, VA American
Northwest Arkansas Regional American
Oklahoma City, OK American, Southwest
Omaha, NE Southwest
Orlando, FL AirTran, American, Southwest
Philadelphia, PA American, US Airways
Phoenix, AZ Southwest, US Airways
Pittsburg, PA US Airways
Quincy, IL Great Lakes
Raleigh/Durham, NC American
Richmond, VA American
Salt Lake City, UT Delta, Southwest
San Antonio, CA American
San Diego, CA American
San Francisco, CA American
Santa Ana, CA American
Sarasota, FL AirTran
Seattle, WA American
Springfield, MO American
Springfield, IL American
St. Petersburg, FL USA 3000
Tampa, FL American, Southwest
Toronto, Canada Air Canada Jazz
Tulsa, OK American, Southwest
Washington, DC (Dulles) American, United
Washington, DC (National) American
Wichita, KS American

Well..... since a location seems to be hard to choose, how about this.....

How about we all just meet at the Philli Mini? It is already being organized, and a good bit of our friends will be there.

Back