DMX LIGHTS in vixen

twoff

Hi I have made a christmas light show in the past with standard lights and a controller box I made, I was seeing if anyone has some tips/videos of how to use DMX lights with vixen. Any help would be wonderful!!!

The cheapest option is a USB -> DMX interface. These are available commercially, though I get by with a USB to RS485 board which works fine for me. Some lighting controllers which connect over Ethernet also offer DMX outputs (as well as WS2811 for pixels)
RS485.jpg
More elaborate commercial units will offer electrical isolation etc.

If you have connected DMX dimmer(s), just add each channel as a single colour node. The most relevant effects in Vixen are 'set level' and 'pulse'. Other effects (such as twinkle) can also be used depending on how you set up your lights and their groupings.

Important concept - a node (DMX channel = single colour light) can be in more than one group.

You can control any type of DMX fixture since ultimately Vixen just outputs bytes of data on the channels you have configured. I believe better support for things like moving head fixtures is being added (as in making them easier to program in the Vixen environment).

I use Vixen to control a mixture of DMX and WS2811 in my garden / Christmas show

Last edited:
The cheapest option is a USB -> DMX interface. These are available commercially, though I get by with a USB to RS485 board which works fine for me. Some lighting controllers which connect over Ethernet also offer DMX outputs (as well as WS2811 for pixels)
View attachment 45839
More elaborate commercial units will offer electrical isolation etc.

If you have connected DMX dimmer(s), just add each channel as a single colour node. The most relevant effects in Vixen are 'set level' and 'pulse'. Other effects (such as twinkle) can also be used depending on how you set up your lights and their groupings.

Important concept - a node (DMX channel = single colour light) can be in more than one group.

You can control any type of DMX fixture since ultimately Vixen just outputs bytes of data on the channels you have configured. I believe better support for things like moving head fixtures is being added (as in making them easier to program in the Vixen environment).

I use Vixen to control a mixture of DMX and WS2811 in my garden / Christmas show
Hi thank you! Do you have a video on this or have any recommendations for a USB to dmx interface

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Whereabouts are you located?

See enttec.com for USB DMX interfaces. I have a feeling the bottom of the range models are just one of the boards I shared above, in a metal box. In which case, you can save yourself lots of cash and just get a USB to RS485 board, and um put it in a box.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192257752019
or even this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCELI-Converter-Adapter-Interface-FT232RL/dp/B07MY36L2N
(the eBay item is out of stock, but is basically one of those boards with an XLR connector soldered to it!)

Videos on my youtube channel - richienorthcott. The garden spots run on a few 8 channel DMX decoders, so work much in the same way as a traditional dimmer. DM me if you want more info.

Last edited:
Whereabouts are you located?

See enttec.com for USB DMX interfaces. I have a feeling the bottom of the range models are just one of the boards I shared above, in a metal box. In which case, you can save yourself lots of cash and just get a USB to RS485 board, and um put it in a box.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192257752019
or even this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCELI-Converter-Adapter-Interface-FT232RL/dp/B07MY36L2N
(the eBay item is out of stock, but is basically one of those boards with an XLR connector soldered to it!)

Videos on my youtube channel - richienorthcott. The garden spots run on a few 8 channel DMX decoders, so work much in the same way as a traditional dimmer. DM me if you want more info.
Ok and did you use vixen with this?

Here's how to patch a single light (3 colours, 3 channels) in Vixen

In this example. ch1 = red, ch2 = green, ch3=blue. The color breakdown defines the patching order R,G,B. BTW you can delete these patches from the graphical view then re-add using the right mouse button. That's one way of changing the color order.

patching.png

I configured the controller for 10 outputs, you can add up to the 512 in the DMX specification.

Last edited:
As requested - here's my 'board in a box'
OpenDMX.jpg
Board is one of these:
board.png

The trailing cable has a 3 pin socket on the end, you could equally fit a 5 pin depending on what you're connecting to.

Thanks and so for the port for your XLR cable do you just wire up a female adapter onto that or how does the end look like to attach the XLR cable

Ya i get all of that stuff im just confused how you have that XLR cable connected to your board as the one shown doest have a port to plug that into. Did you wire the port onto that board for the XLR cable?

Yes I made my own using 3 cores of a CAT5 cable (which is 100ohm impedance so not far off the DMX spec of 120) and a female XLR connector. If you're not into soldering then buy an off the shelf DMX cable (preferred, or you could get by with a short xlr->xlr audio cable) and chop off the male end, strip the wires back and connect the screw terminals. I would imagine inside a commercial cable you have a twisted pair which are the A and B then an outer shield which would be ground.

Last edited:
Thank you I think that all makes sense I will give it a go and see what happens

Back