DMX WS2812 firmware

RPM

Well, after being out of the DIY community for a while, I guess you can say I'm back.
I've been away due to family issues and the time constraints of having too many hobbies, but after running a larger show this past Christmas season I'm already planning for next year.

I finally got my Pixel Megatree up and some pixels on the house as well as a video projector and screen (similar setup to Mike Z's), but I'm planning on more pixels for next year.
I had some WS2811 strips I bought last year and never got a chance to use them, but I plan on using them for my 2015 show.
Since I already have some working DMX to WS2801 bridge designs out there, I have been working on a new firmware (in AVR assembly) for that board that will work for both WS2801 & WS2811 pixels.

I'm still testing it and it's been working well so far, but if anyone is interested in giving it a try, I'll post it.

Robert

OH MY GOSH! He's Alive!!! LOL Welcome back!!! You've been missed. I have one of your bridges (4 port). I think it's Renard/DMX to E1.31 or maybe it's the other way around. I bought it from someone when I planned going to pixels and I haven't gotten back to the bridge.

I assume you know if you keep you clk sign in the 2811, you can run 2801 with out a firmware change.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I assume you know if you keep you clk sign in the 2811, you can run 2801 with out a firmware change.

Are you using the SPI port? I just do simple bit banging timed loops. Seems to do the trick.

I take advantage of the fact that the reset period is as a MINIMUM of 50uS but I have not seen any data of the MAX time that can be used. This being the case, I use an IRQ based DMX receive routine and set a flag when all channels are done, then I shut off the IRQ's and output the WS2811 protocol bit banged at 800K. For 300 channels (100 LED string) this is 3mS with another 20mS or so for the DMX processing. This does an update to the WS2811 string at the full DMX rate of 44fps.
Seems to make sense since you can only have DMX at 44fps updates anyway, why try to push out so much data constantly to the strings if it's just going to be redundant. Since the output is timed to the DMX frames, the output data won't be corrupted from the incoming DMX data.

Robert

The 6803 and 2801 were simple edits of your code. The 2811 was completed by Machorsehead. It uses spi. But it is complicated with 5 bits used for each level and needs the output inverted. I didn't use any 2811 last year but have 10 strings wait for a display item.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

If you could add unicast to the bridge that would be great - still use your 4-port for my show (and another spare somewhere) - solid as a rock!

If you could add unicast to the bridge that would be great - still use your 4-port for my show (and another spare somewhere) - solid as a rock!

Brian, I was talking about the DMX to pixel bridge... not the E1.31-DMX bridge.

I was thinking of doing some updates to the E1.31 bridge, but since there is a 6 port version out there now I don't know what the feasibility of new firmware would be for my older design.

Robert

Oh my gosh! RPM is back ?!!?

Yeah, I keep asking myself that too. I still have limited time, but I'll be out here as time permits.
My 89yo dad fell early last year and broke a hip, so it's been a tough year for the family getting him through it all. He's no longer independent, so we have to take turns taking care of him and he's 25 miles through LA traffic for me to get to his house.

RPM

Attached are the files I am using.

Attachments

• DMX_Dual_6803_Bridge.zip
    53.7 KB · Views: 45
  • MacHorsehead_WS2811_DMX_Bridge.zip
    53.1 KB · Views: 63
Robert,

Glad to see your back. Shoot me an email when you have a chance and we can discuss the 2811 and 2812B firmware. I have some stuff you may enjoy ;)

Greg

Back