Documentation: User guides, tutorials, and videos

There's no PDF or anything like that. But you can certainly print the pages of the documentation site.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon, is there any documentation that really gets into the nuts and bolts of grouping and sub-grouping? I'm trying to achieve the same control that Matt Johnson has over the individual arms, branches, and spokes.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?39162-DIY-Pixel-Snowflakes-*Sneak-Peek*-for-2015-Christmas&highlight=idleup

He also states the following: "Copying elements into new groups is really just a pointer to that same element, so my parent element of "Snowflake_A" may actually have over 1000 elements under it but it really only maps to 192 pixels (576 controller channels)."

I'm not sure what he means by having over 1000 elements and I'm not sure how you map to the same pixels. Would I be creating a separate snowflake element for each effect. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dale

Dale,

I can help you with your question. Lets say you create a group called "Windows" within the windows you have 6 windows. You can copy those 6 windows into a different group called "House". What this lets you do is create different group arrangements with the same number of actual elements because they are grouped differently.

See my setup below.

I have a group called windows. Within that there are two groups upper and lower windows. The Windows upper has 7 windows and the lower has 4.

I also have a group called House. I copied the entire Windows group and pasted in the House group.. Now when I apply an effect on the Windows group, I get one result. When I apply an effect to the House group I get a different effect that also includes the windows. Make sense?

setup1.JPG
setup2.JPG
setup3.JPG

In matt's video he used the terminology a bit loosely. An element is one unit of sequencing. A pixel for example is an element. If you copy the same pixel into multiple groups, you don't have more than one element. You instead have multiple references to the same element. In vixen we actually abstract elements out and there's no place in the program to actually create elements. You instead work with element nodes. We don't really talk about this much but that's how it actually works. In display setup, when you create an element you're actually creating an element node and the underlying element. The node is a reference to the element. It's the reference that contains the information about where it fits into your list. If you copy and paste an element from one group to another, it creates a new element node and references the same element.
On the other hand, when you patch element to filters and controllers, you're not patching the element node. You're patching the element it references. That's why once you patch it, you'll get the green ball showing for all other nodes referencing the same element.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks ArcadeNut and Jon for the info. I have my snowflakes broken down into groups and sub-groups and everything is working like I want them too. Thanks again! Dale

Back