Does this look right my outlets

okay I redid my wires, did them the colors yall said I should.. I guess I should add a green from the hot outlet to the 4 other plugs also
I just used what wire I had left from before

ce98399a01e4e1e05ab4c6c9b665d34d.jpg

ac891733280a142770c9cc86cc634f0b.jpg

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

okay I redid my wires, did them the colors yall said I should.. I guess I should add a green from the hot outlet to the 4 other plugs also
I just used what wire I had left from before

ce98399a01e4e1e05ab4c6c9b665d34d.jpg

ac891733280a142770c9cc86cc634f0b.jpg

Definitely add the green from the hot outlet to the others otherwise the ground wires aren't doing anything.

Okay so I got my SSR and no instructions, oh well been trying to find pictures online of one's hooked up and seems most only show how to connect the gpio pins to them not connecting anything else so ok is this right. I know each red wire needs to be together and conector to the main outlet but I couldn't get two wires in the holes on the ssr together so I'm going to use something to conector them all together.
the black wires are the ones to turn on the outlets. I've only hooked up the first 4 outlets. wanted make sure was right.

69f7f9f0d41b9d65a9c62b861821eaf3.jpg

So far so good. The only thing I can see you need is; all the red wires that you have going to the center screw for each relay will need to be connected to the Black wire on the Plug. I made a diagram for you to follow. I was trying to get something together for you to have as a guide. RelyWire.jpg

So far so good. The only thing I can see you need is; all the red wires that you have going to the center screw for each relay will need to be connected to the Black wire on the Plug. I made a diagram for you to follow. I was trying to get something together for you to have as a guide. View attachment 38054
thanks for the diagram, yeah the black wire is huge and doesn't like to bend was going to use it where the red is. but don't have any smaller black wire. I will post when get more finished.

Hello,

I see several layers of issues at the moment. So I have some questions.

1) How many Amps is each SSR rated?
2) Do you intend on EVER pushing each SSR to it's limits?

Depending on the answers to these two questions there are a number of specifications that may have to change to ensure electrical safety.

Specifically, I am concerned about overloading wires, plugs, relays, etc. leading to fire, shock, or destroyed equipment.

Regards,

John.

Hello,

I see several layers of issues at the moment. So I have some questions.

1) How many Amps is each SSR rated?
2) Do you intend on EVER pushing each SSR to it's limits?

Depending on the answers to these two questions there are a number of specifications that may have to change to ensure electrical safety.

Specifically, I am concerned about overloading wires, plugs, relays, etc. leading to fire, shock, or destroyed equipment.

Regards,

John.
10 amps from what i understand
the outlets are 15amps
So No i don't plan to max them out... But i think im using bigger wires then most use... its 14 gauge

You could run a separate black wire to each relay and use a connector like this View attachment 38055

what are those called? not seen them before.. i planed to use some quick connectors like this https://www.delcity.net/store/Quick-Splice-Connector-!-18!14-Gauge/p_9373.h_152554 but after thinking a little more not sure they would work well... that one you show would be better i think if i had what 4 of them i could connect them all together.

Now i have the board i have another question are you guys just running the SSR from the 5v power on the Pi?
the ground is open the the jumper is on the two right pins..... if i wanted to use a separate 5V power supply i would just not connect the 5v from the gpio and take the jumper off and connect a 5 volt charger to the the ground and jd plug?
Im still not sure how it works having a 110V power and 5v or 12v depending on the relay going to it.I understand the Christmas lights need power im guessing that's why the 110v is needed.
I found a good deal on a LOR controller. and want to buy it, im going to try to get it next couple days and this project will end up being something else to play with cause im still not 100% sure about it.

The connecters I posted are called push in connectors. They should have them at the hardware stores. If not try Amazon. The blue connectors you posted are to be used for low voltage wiring only. Like in your cars 12v system. Do not use them to connect AC current as this could be dangerous. The way the relays work is there is a 5v side {if that's what the rating is on yours} that is the controlling side from the pi. The switching side is the high voltage side. They work kinda like your light switch. There is 110v in your home walls. Pretend you are the raspberry pi. Your brain says turn on the light. You use a low voltage energy {your hand} and flip the switch controlling the high voltage. Like a relay you are physically touching the switch but never the high voltage. The 5v and 110v are going to be somewhat in the same location but never touch.

10 amps from what i understand
the outlets are 15amps
So No i don't plan to max them out... But i think im using bigger wires then most use... its 14 gauge.

Ok, So my concerns are confirmed and it leads me to a few more questions.
1) How many power feeds are you going to have coming in to this enclosure?
2) How many Amps per feed?
3) Are you going to fuse the outlets?
4) If yes, what size fuses are you going to use?
If the SSR’s are rated at 10 Amp and you only load them to 5 Amps with 8 relays you are still looking at 40 Amps. Of course fully loaded that is 80 Amps and this is a huge problem with how you are wiring them. The daisy chained neutral is not big enough to handle anywhere near 40 Amps, much less 80 Amps. I am not sure that your Ground is even big enough in the event of a case short to Ground.
Some more detail as to what you are trying to run with this as far as electrical load would be immensely helpful in helping you build a safe and functional circuit.
Regards,
John.

The connecters I posted are called push in connectors. They should have them at the hardware stores. If not try Amazon. The blue connectors you posted are to be used for low voltage wiring only. Like in your cars 12v system. Do not use them to connect AC current as this could be dangerous. The way the relays work is there is a 5v side {if that's what the rating is on yours} that is the controlling side from the pi. The switching side is the high voltage side. They work kinda like your light switch. There is 110v in your home walls. Pretend you are the raspberry pi. Your brain says turn on the light. You use a low voltage energy {your hand} and flip the switch controlling the high voltage. Like a relay you are physically touching the switch but never the high voltage. The 5v and 110v are going to be somewhat in the same location but never touch.

Oh, i didn't even think about that with the connectors.. only hardware store around my town is a family owned place that never had what i need. but i bet another place i know about would have them or i will just order some online.
The lor board will be a learning curve also. But will have the heavy work done for you as far as the circuits go.
Why you say that? its already build.. just plug up the two cords, and a Ethernet cable and set the Vixen for it and turn it on should be...
your right i wont have to be building anything.

Ok, So my concerns are confirmed and it leads me to a few more questions.
1) How many power feeds are you going to have coming in to this enclosure?
2) How many Amps per feed?
3) Are you going to fuse the outlets?
4) If yes, what size fuses are you going to use?
If the SSR’s are rated at 10 Amp and you only load them to 5 Amps with 8 relays you are still looking at 40 Amps. Of course fully loaded that is 80 Amps and this is a huge problem with how you are wiring them. The daisy chained neutral is not big enough to handle anywhere near 40 Amps, much less 80 Amps. I am not sure that your Ground is even big enough in the event of a case short to Ground.
Some more detail as to what you are trying to run with this as far as electrical load would be immensely helpful in helping you build a safe and functional circuit.
Regards,
John.

1> Power feeds? only one, as main power. it have 5v from the PI then the 110 from the plug in.
2>Amps, not sure i have to test some lights and do some math
3>fuse the outlets? you mean from the outlets themselves? isnt that what the Relays do? im not sure how you would fuse those... I mean all christmas lights have fuses inside the plug in for them
4> its 10 amps per relay.. and so there are just 2 sockets on one outlet.. so you don't think you can pull 20 amps through 14 gaudge wire?

I don't get why it would be any driffrent from me plugging in (6) 100 light sets of lights into a 100 foot drop cord that is plugged into a outlet on the side of the house?

I know for a fact that Christmas lights really don't pull that many amps.. LED christmas lights even less...
I run 2 sets of 100 light Christmas lights, along with a lighted candy cane, a 2 foot Santa Claus figure off of a 200 watt power inventor on my truck every year it runs all of that just fine. I think i was at around 2 amps total. its been a while since i checked it i will be checking them again this year want to add more so might use my 400watt inventor. Are you a licensed electrician?

You should check out this guys set up.... it looks.... interesting to say the least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m83UdW67hVY

Last edited:
You’re given a lot of good VALID advice. I don’t understand why you won’t listen.

What do you mean? I came here looking for help from people who has done the same exact thing i am wanting to do.. and i have tried to do what people have told me.

1> Power feeds? only one, as main power. it have 5v from the PI then the 110 from the plug in.
2>Amps, not sure i have to test some lights and do some math
3>fuse the outlets? you mean from the outlets themselves? isnt that what the Relays do? im not sure how you would fuse those... I mean all christmas lights have fuses inside the plug in for them
4> its 10 amps per relay.. and so there are just 2 sockets on one outlet.. so you don't think you can pull 20 amps through 14 gaudge wire?

I don't get why it would be any driffrent from me plugging in (6) 100 light sets of lights into a 100 foot drop cord that is plugged into a outlet on the side of the house?

I know for a fact that Christmas lights really don't pull that many amps.. LED christmas lights even less...
I run 2 sets of 100 light Christmas lights, along with a lighted candy cane, a 2 foot Santa Claus figure off of a 200 watt power inventor on my truck every year it runs all of that just fine. I think i was at around 2 amps total. its been a while since i checked it i will be checking them again this year want to add more so might use my 400watt inventor. Are you a licensed electrician?

There isn't a difference in running 2 LED light strings off this or off a single extension cord. But that is the information people need to know to tell you if your wiring will work. Each relay is rated for 10 amps, making the relay board capable of passing 80 amps. However, your "feed" power cord isn't rated for 80 amps, and most likely the outlet you'll run this off of isn't rated for 80 amps, and the wire daisy chain isn't rated for 80 amps etc. The point they're making is they need to know what the max load you're designing for is. No one can tell you "your setup looks correct and safe" without knowing what you're going to plug into it. If you plan on using less than 2amps per outlet, that is what people need to know to help you.

well channel I know for a fact that these will have these amounts on them
channel #8 )50 lights LED
#7)50 lights LED
#6 )200 lights LED
#5) 100 or 200 at max encans
#4-1 are the ones I need to test. I want those to run my megs tree ( it's only a 10 ft tree with encans lights) also I wanted it to run 200 lights on each of my mini trees. but maybe that would be to much power? I've not got my tester out to test them yet.

so what is a safe amount to run through this set up? I know the LOR boxes have 2 110v plug ins for power. and been told they need to be plugged into driffrent outlets on driffrent breakers to get there full 30 amps of power but I'm sure I'm not pulling 30 amps at least never at once... these are sqenced lights so there never all on at the same time..

I appreciate the ones trying to help and well you just built same thing how many lights are you planing to hook up to urs?

So sold all of the daisy chained neutrals and white wires be split in the middle and have a input plug on each half? hard to half 5 of something guess 2 could be on one side and 3 on the other .

at this point I'm so frustrated I'm about to just drag out my Mr christmas box and use it again. and spend the money I was going to buy a lor box and buy lot more led lights
thanks

Last edited:
My SSR is rated for 2 amps per relay, total of 16 amps at max. I built mine with a max of 16 amps in design, but I'm only using .5 amp per outlet and don't intend to ever have more than 1 amp per outlet. With 100 count LED strings from Wal-Mart this equates to about 10 strings for 1 amp (1000 lights!). If you can't fit 2 wires in your relay to chain them then I would recommend running a short wire from your "feed outlet" to each relay instead of using smaller wire.

well channel I know for a fact that these will have these amounts on them
channel #8 )50 lights LED
#7)50 lights LED
#6 )200 lights LED
#5) 100 or 200 at max encans
#4-1 are the ones I need to test. I want those to run my megs tree ( it's only a 10 ft tree with encans lights) also I wanted it to run 200 lights on each of my mini trees. but maybe that would be to much power? I've not got my tester out to test them yet.

so what is a safe amount to run through this set up? I know the LOR boxes have 2 110v plug ins for power. and been told they need to be plugged into driffrent outlets on driffrent breakers to get there full 30 amps of power but I'm sure I'm not pulling 30 amps at least never at once... these are sqenced lights so there never all on at the same time..

I appreciate the ones trying to help and well you just built same thing how many lights are you planing to hook up to urs?

So sold all of the daisy chained neutrals and white wires be split in the middle and have a input plug on each half? hard to half 5 of something guess 2 could be on one side and 3 on the other .

at this point I'm so frustrated I'm about to just drag out my Mr christmas box and use it again. and spend the money I was going to buy a lor box and buy lot more led lights
thanks

One standard outlet has a maximum rating of 15 amps so that is the most you should plan for. If there are other things on this circuit that will be on at the same time, you need to consider those, too, so the total doesn't exceed 15 amps. Your wiring should be 14 gauge or better. If your wiring is 14 gauge, you don't need to split the neutrals. Your house wiring is set-up in a similar fashion, i.e. multiple plugs on one power feed. Frustration is part of the learning process but as with many things, the end result is worth it. Hang in there!

Back